• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Randell Williams joins Exeter City from Watford

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Randell Williams is under contract until summer 2021. He was signed from Watford on a free but with a "generous" sell on clause. What does everyone feel would be a suitable fee if he were to be transferred to Forest in January ? How about 300k PLUS Richardson in exchange ?
If we have to give half to Watford then I'd hope for more than 300k, even if Notts Forest came in for him with Richardson in part exchange. Maybe I'm being greedy.

Grecian Max

I'm not a fan yet of either Randell or Ryan Bowman, but they both deserve more time in the team to settle in. Williams has plenty of technical ability, no doubt, but some of his decision making on the ball is not clever, although that kind of stuff can be learned.
This aged well

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The downside of being top, and no doubt there will be other players attracting interest. Just hope we no longer are giving out contracts with release fees valid in the January window.
The inevitable consequence of stacking the side with youngsters who can be sold on for a profit to ensure the financial well-being of the club. It may not work out for all of them but you would think that between Collins, Ward, Williams and Sparkes there will be some decent money coming into the club over the next year or two. Agree that the key is not to sell in January as if we can possibly avoid it as we saw last season how disruptive that can be.
As for Randell he is improving all the time but still needs to add more consistency to his game so you would have thought he would benefit from a full season of league 2 football before looking to move up the leagues. The most interesting thing about this rumour is that it is allegedly Nottingham Forest who are interested, the club who loaned us the player who is mosyly being kept out the team by Randell.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I was a scout for a Championship or top L1 club I'd come away with a report which said "The lad Williams is worth keeping tabs on, though he needs a few more games to develop his positional sense and final ball. But the young left back Sparkes is someone we should pursue as soon as the window opens in January, he has developed astonishingly since last season."
And I would add, forget about Sparkes and Willams - they are already well-known and there will be a bidding war - and try to sign Archie Collins instead. He's only just turned 20 and already played 30 times in League 2, he's a first-choice player for the league leaders and has great positional awareness and the ability to pick out a pass when under pressure.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently being chased by Nottingham Forest according to their ‘live’ website. Although some information in the article is wrong.
www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-chasing-exeter-city-3347870
This article is even worse than Devon Live. Surely the number of goals he has scored is a pretty important fact to get right.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree that the key is not to sell in January as if we can possibly avoid it as we saw last season how disruptive that can be.
True that it's more disruptive to lose players in Jan, but on the flip side, you can sometimes leverage the desperation of buying clubs. See clubs paying over the odds more in January... Also see players linked to big money moves that don't come off in Jan, before they leave for 1/3 the price a few months later. We should try to avoid selling in Jan, but be open to exploiting desperate clubs with money burning a hole in their pockets.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
May depend on things out of our control i.e.Brentford and OW

IndoMike

One problem might be that if a player knows in January that he's on the way to another club in the summer then his mind might wander to foreign pastures.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Put a stupid price on him WHEN we need to sell him not just because Billy BigBalls up the road wants him.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
This aged well
He's proved me totally wrong this season, and I'm very happy that I was wrong. Him and RB are my two favourite players at the moment after Jack Sparkes.