• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Red Monster

Have you not read #167
Sorry I take it all back Pete knows best.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was unfortunately driving this afternoon and only just catching up now. I read that Flynn reckons they should have won as they were "by far the better team second half and Jamille Matt should have had a hatrick". Was this just the usual manager bull shit for his excuse or were we very lucky? Anyone see enough to say?

Red Devon

Seriously hot day for playing football in....Tom Parkes was outstanding today up until the introduction of Aaron Martin I don’t think anyone else won a header all afternoon for us, those two were particularly impressive when paired together I thought...Another impressive performance from Jack Sparkes down the left again....still don’t think we’re are quite right up front though with Bowman definitely off the boil despite his goal on Tuesday....overall a point gained but no doubt Newport will feel the more disappointed team for not winning! that game.

Last edited:

1burnm

Manager deserves a lot of credit for making the changes he did and stopping what would otherwise have been a probable defeat.
Im not one to moan about referees generally but this guy was bad, don't know if he was intimidated by the home fans. I can't imagine he was, they weren't especially intimidating. But I cant think of another reason why he gave them so many free kicks and City so few. So City did extremely well to stand firm. I thought all the defenders were excellent also Sparkes and Collins really battled. Old heads on young shoulders.

1burnm

I was unfortunately driving this afternoon and only just catching up now. I read that Flynn reckons they should have won as they were "by far the better team second half and Jamille Matt should have had a hatrick". Was this just the usual manager bull **** for his excuse or were we very lucky? Anyone see enough to say?
they had a few chances, more than City, but there weren't that many GLARING chances, few shots went wide, Ward made two or three decent saves. Nothing spectacular. In the main City's defenders stood firm. There was a section of the game around their penalty where City looked to be losing control of the midfield but manager made changes and after that it was more even. We certainly didnt get smashed up like their manager seems to think.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just watched the sky highlights, there was a passage of play between 30 seconds and 40 seconds into the footage where Moxey made two mistakes, would Martin have been dropped for doing the same ?
Thought that during the game. Would have helped a lot if he used his experience to keep control of the ball, because in the second half we just invited them on to us by not taking command.

Oldsmobile-88

In fact we've only lost three times to them since their return to the league and one of those was at home.
Just thinking(without my Rothmans books or using 11 v 11) to keep my brain reasonably sharp on results.I can think of 2 defeats at SJP..A 0-2 loss when they returned to the FL & a 0-1 defeat when County were fighting from their FL survival in 16/17.
Thanks for getting my memory kickstarted :D

grecIAN Harris

Just thinking(without my Rothmans books or using 11 v 11) to keep my brain reasonably sharp on results.I can think of 2 defeats at SJP..A 0-2 loss when they returned to the FL & a 0-1 defeat when County were fighting from their FL survival in 16/17.
Thanks for getting my memory kickstarted :D
I looked at the 11v11 online.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting penalty - seen them not given. Good point at the end of the day. Newport fans thought the ref was good, probably live in Arizona, Scott Bennett was their MOM (another academy product), and they thought we tended to fall over too much.

Onto Grimsby and hopefully a disappointed Les making a long trip back home

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We're in good form DWDWWWDDWW