• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure India and Pakistan will be keeping a close eye on developments.
Your inference being that a Tory Government is displaying a contrasting attitude re. immigration/visas to a country with a predominantly white population than those with a 'brown skinned' asian populations?
Its probably more to do with Australia having a more closely aligned per capita GDP with the UK than anything else.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Problems with Islamophobia still not being dealt with by the Tory party

This suggests the opposite and that they are being dealt with.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Your inference being that a Tory Government is displaying a contrasting attitude re. immigration/visas to a country with a predominantly white population than those with a 'brown skinned' asian populations?
Its probably more to do with Australia having a more closely aligned per capita GDP with the UK than anything else.
I haven't made any inference. Are you suggesting that the Tory Government is more interested in having white immigration than that of people of colour?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I've heard rumours that free movement is also being considered in an FTA with India.

tavyred

I haven't made any inference. Are you suggesting that the Tory Government is more interested in having white immigration than that of people of colour?
Apologies for misrepresenting your post.
No, I'm suggesting that the UK is probably basing its willingness to link immigration with trade on whether the other country has a similar economy to ours.
Any views on the seemingly different UK attitude to India/Pakistan in comparison with Australia, you flagged up the issue after all.
For the record, I doubt whether Australia will make any significant concessions on immigration anytime soon.

DB9

Problems with Islamophobia still not being dealt with by the Tory party

I'm no fan of the Tories by any stretch but they have suspended them a darn sight quicker than Labours ***** footing around their suspended members for anti semitism

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

DB9

No argument here that North Devon is predominantly white, That's not news at all but for her to use that as a reason is laughable, Perhaps the cut throat of politics nowadays is not for her if you make stupid comments like that and then ask the same people to vote for you

Avening Posse

I'm sure India and Pakistan will be keeping a close eye on developments.
Not sure what you mean, but Sydney is massively cosmopolitan, probably more so in terms of diversity than most European cities. There is already a large Indian community in Sydney for example, and that is dwarfed by the chinese community and other south asian regions. Also a lot of people from the middle east, not to mention the millions from the UK and Ireland

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Not sure what you mean, but Sydney is massively cosmopolitan, probably more so in terms of diversity than most European cities. There is already a large Indian community in Sydney for example, and that is dwarfed by the chinese community and other south asian regions. Also a lot of people from the middle east, not to mention the millions from the UK and Ireland
Yes, I'm fully aware of how Australia is made up. What is the point you're making?