• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Port Vale 17/9/19 Match Day Thread

End Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wingers tend by nature to be inconsistent and Randall was brilliant against Carlisle, not so effective against Leyton Orient and had a pretty big impact in the times he was on the pitch on Tuesday. Overall, however, he has improved so much since he first joined the club and even since the beginning of this season.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wingers tend by nature to be inconsistent and Randall was brilliant against Carlisle, not so effective against Leyton Orient and had a pretty big impact in the times he was on the pitch on Tuesday. Overall, however, he has improved so much since he first joined the club and even since the beginning of this season.
Good to hear. With Williams, Jake T, Lee Martin, Law and Collins across the middle we must have the best midfield in the league. And still Holmes and Atangana to come back into the fold. Very promising.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to hear. With Williams, Jake T, Lee Martin, Law and Collins across the middle we must have the best midfield in the league. And still Holmes and Atangana to come back into the fold. Very promising.
Not forgetting Sparkes and Matt Jay is also becoming a more than useful back-up player. As for Williams, Grecian Harris is right to be critical of the lack of end-product but this has noticeably improved in recent games. I am also sure Wayne Carlisle is working hard on this and once he adds consistent crossing to the rest of his game he will be far too good for League 2.

ryancooper327

tonykellowfan

Williams started to play well at the end of last season and he has carried on that improved form this season. For example at the end of last season he was MOM for me in the Stevenage game.

IndoMike

Not forgetting Sparkes and Matt Jay is also becoming a more than useful back-up player. As for Williams, Grecian Harris is right to be critical of the lack of end-product but this has noticeably improved in recent games. I am also sure Wayne Carlisle is working hard on this and once he adds consistent crossing to the rest of his game he will be far too good for League 2.
Matt said when we signed him that he would excite the fans. If I remember correctly, Matt also said we had to offer a very good sell-on fee to the selling club in order to sign him up.

andrew p long

It surely can be no surprise that Randell Williams may soon be ‘too good for League Two’. Last season he was a first team regular in League One August - December for Wycombe making 15 starts, another 6 appearances off the bench and scoring twice.

The only surprise is that he found it far more difficult to get game time in League Two after joining City , playing far less regularly than he had in League One. The potential is definitely there, it is now a case of harnessing it, finding the right role for him (is he a wing back???) and ironing out the weaknesses in his game (consistency, final ball and defensive side). At only 22 there is plenty more to come.

Red Devon

Though I think that after nine games we had 22 points compared to the 21 this season. So, before we get carried away, we haven’t had a better start since ...erm...the season before last, a season when we didn’t get promoted.
It was the home form that cost us that season I think we won an outstanding 13 away games... SJP has to become a fortress as they say if we are going to be successful this season.

StroudGrecian

Though I think that after nine games we had 22 points compared to the 21 this season. So, before we get carried away, we haven’t had a better start since ...erm...the season before last, a season when we didn’t get promoted.
We had 22 points after 8 games in September 2017 (W7 D1) - then we lost our 9th game (2-0 at Cov). And our 10th (0-3 home to Notts).

PeteUSA

Not a lot of need for concern but according to reports in the E&E (and my own observations) Ward looks hesitant on occasion. I did see one awful endeavor by him to deal with a shot v Port Vale, which surely nobody can deny? One on one's are certainly not his speciality.