• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match Day Thread.

Pobbop

Looks bigger and tougher too. I think he still has to work on his defensive positioning but that will come with experience, I imagine. Dean Moxey will doubtless help him with that.

He may therefore be the next to attract the bigger clubs, rather than Collins?

Why not both, central mid is a position you generally take a bit of time to learn, put through one incredible ball in the first half, top class.

I mean we sold grimes early on, but it's really taken him to last season to really mature.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why not both, central mid is a position you generally take a bit of time to learn, put through one incredible ball in the first half, top class.

I mean we sold grimes early on, but it's really taken him to last season to really mature.
I don't think we've seen the best of Archie yet although positions for a more attacking midfield role are competitive. It speaks volumes of his character and football awareness that he is trusted to play a different role to what is his more natural inclination by Matt and by Tis, be that holding midfielder, right back or right side of three centre backs on his first senior start.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't buy this really, I was pretty angry with the ref, and even if we had got a last minute winner, I'd have thought he was rubbish.

Again, talking about individual incidents, is interesting, but in the end, it was the systematic fouling and off-the-ball fouling, stopping all flow, which the officials had no control over. I do not think he was biased though, just rubbish, but he needed to make even more booking earlier, in the end, so many of these came at the end of the match. It was clearly a designated fouler thing, they took turns. As someone else said their number 21 must have committed about as many fouls on his shirt before he eventually got booked.

The way the Orient player ignored him when being subbed he was told to go off to the nearest line, and just ran past him was indicative of the loss of control. He should have just sent the guy off for ignoring him, and no sub.

I actually do think it could have been an hand-ball by Law, from the angle I was at, replay inconclusive, but his hand was flapping about a bit, accidental, but that doesn't matter anymore apparently.

I think I have mentioned our defending and finishing was suspect at times in this match, so not purely down to the ref, if we hadn't been 2-1 down they wouldn't have been doing the time-wasting and anti-football.
Agree with a lot of what you have said in particular Nicky Law’s disallowed goal. I have just watched the full match replay it appeared that he initially took the ball on his chest but then as he swivelled before shooting it did look as if there might have been slight contact with his right hand before shooting.

I have not changed my mind about the referee and his performance or Orient’s euphemistically called “game management” but will acknowledge that with regard the throw in incident mid way through the second half whilst at the time and I was sitting fairly close to where it happened and I thought the ball had stayed in play it was in fact a foot or so over the line and the referee was correct to award Orient a throw in.

I would also agree that as others have said and in fairness to Pete in the USA who can only comment on the ifollow coverage, you can't really pick up watching on screen rather than live the pace and forcefulness of certain incidents as well as off the ball incidents which taken together are what helps to create that sense of passion an emotion which no TV pictures can possibly convey and as a committed supporter when watching the play as it happens you cannot help becoming increasingly emotionally charged.

Others have mentioned Lincoln and Wycombe both “game managing” in the same way and it was interesting if disappointing to hear Pat Baldwin saying that this same “game management” is now discussed as an element within the coaching courses.

Consequently it looks as if this is now something that is legitimately part of the game and it is entirely dependent on strong referees ensuring that it does not get out of hand. It seems therefore that the only way to ensure that we do not have to watch such tactics is simply not go behind in games.....a lot easier said than done. Have to admit though, whilst it may be naive to say it, it is not really something that I want to see from a City team.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Others have mentioned Lincoln and Wycombe both “game managing” in the same way and it was interesting if disappointing to hear Pat Baldwin saying that this same “game management” is now discussed as an element within the coaching courses.

Consequently it looks as if this is now something that is legitimately part of the game and it is entirely dependent on strong referees ensuring that it does not get out of hand. It seems therefore that the only way to ensure that we do not have to watch such tactics is simply not go behind in games.....a lot easier said than done. Have to admit though, whilst it may be naive to say it, it is not really something that I want to see from a City team.
Well I for one am going to do my little bit to kick against the pricks by not going to games at the grounds of these teams (unless for cup games when we get half the next receipts). I will not give MK, Lincoln, Wycombe or Orient (and probably others in the future) my dosh if I can possibly help it.

Pathetic I know, but it's probably all I can do as an individual.

And I question "legitimately". Routine, yes; legitimate, no.

StroudGrecian

Looks bigger and tougher too. I think he still has to work on his defensive positioning but that will come with experience, I imagine. Dean Moxey will doubtless help him with that.

He may therefore be the next to attract the bigger clubs, rather than Collins?
Well as his initials are JS he'll be gone to Preston in January.

Spoonz Red E

Ben Seymour set the example as opposed to the Orient tactics.
Pulled around and pushed over for the penalty and he still got back on to his feet rather than milk it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Ben Seymour set the example as opposed to the Orient tactics.
Pulled around and pushed over for the penalty and he still got back on to his feet rather than milk it.
You mean INSTEAD of it being called a "soft penalty" Gotcha !

PeteUSA

You mean INSTEAD of it being called a "soft penalty" Gotcha !

It wasn't any kind of penalty.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
It wasn't any kind of penalty.
And yet Nicky Law took a penalty , even a carp ref gets it right once in a while !

PeteUSA

And yet Nicky Law took a penalty , even a carp ref gets it right once in a while !
Would you get up and try to play on if you'd been brought down from behind for a cert pen?