• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The UK representative was in absentia because he had scuttled off due to protests from a small group of protesters, rumoured to be Brits. It was a joint press cinference
Boris and Farage always hide when the pressure is on. Meanwhile Cummins is not accountable to anyone
I don't think the Luxembourg bloke's comments will have any negative impact at all. He said that BREXIT was a nightmare (true), that Johnson had no new proposals (true -according to all EU representatives), that it was up to Britain to find solutions (true) and implied that Johnson was trying to blame the EU (true).
We've got so used to Johnson's bs that we can't recognize the truth anymore.
Interesting points made, but it"s the perception that will be music to the ears of the spin people behind Boris. It has the classic ingredients of small member state, with very dodgy financial history, making media points in the absence of the other party, which is ammo to people behind Boris. You may be right and it may end up being yesterday's chip paper, but it may stick in the memory when an election comes around. I certainly would not put it past Boris to have riled the chap in a closed meeting, and then deliberately avoided the media debate and watched with a smile as the chap reacted the way he did. Perception over content and all that

IndoMike

Interesting points made, but it"s the perception that will be music to the ears of the spin people behind Boris. It has the classic ingredients of small member state, with very dodgy financial history, making media points in the absence of the other party, which is ammo to people behind Boris. You may be right and it may end up being yesterday's chip paper, but it may stick in the memory when an election comes around. I certainly would not put it past Boris to have riled the chap in a closed meeting, and then deliberately avoided the media debate and watched with a smile as the chap reacted the way he did. Perception over content and all that
We're both speculating - who knows. This last incident could be part of a master plan, it could be just that there was nothing to say, it could be the noise of the protesters, it could be that Johnson had no answers, or it could be escaping from awkward questions pertaining to Cameron's book. The fact is that Johnson walked straight past the podiums and hightailed out of it. leaving the Luxembourg guy alone and speaking to an invisible Johnson. A bit rude.
I honestly think that yesterday's incident will remain yesterday's news. Lets face it : we Brits have already made up our minds about the whole shaboozle and are unlikely to be affected by Brexit news at the moment.
I know one thing : October 31st is gonna be one helluva day if there is no deal in place.

Avening Posse

We're both speculating - who knows. This last incident could be part of a master plan, it could be just that there was nothing to say, it could be the noise of the protesters, it could be that Johnson had no answers, or it could be escaping from awkward questions pertaining to Cameron's book. The fact is that Johnson walked straight past the podiums and hightailed out of it. leaving the Luxembourg guy alone and speaking to an invisible Johnson. A bit rude.
I honestly think that yesterday's incident will remain yesterday's news. Lets face it : we Brits have already made up our minds about the whole shaboozle and are unlikely to be affected by Brexit news at the moment.
I know one thing : October 31st is gonna be one helluva day if there is no deal in place.
I'm looking forward to this shit ending Mike. Had enough of it. I know plenty find it really interesting but it's totally worn off for me

Mr Jinx

Well, I can only repeat for the millionth time that if Cameron hadn't started this fuckfarce 3 years ago prorogues wouldn't be an issue.
The birth and subsequent rise of UKIP was all Dave's fault, of course.

Mr Jinx

I'm looking forward to this **** ending Mike. Had enough of it. I know plenty find it really interesting but it's totally worn off for me
Sorry mate, it ain't ending any time soon, possibly forever.

IndoMike

I'm looking forward to this **** ending Mike. Had enough of it. I know plenty find it really interesting but it's totally worn off for me
I don't think you're alone in being farked off with it, AP. The whole thing has been one big fart. I have to admit that I'm interested in politics but I think it's not bringing out the best in we who are interested. It's become very tribal .
Anyway, all the talk might be over October 31st (but it might not, too 🙄).
Cheers from Indon to our neighbours in Aussie)

Avening Posse

Sorry mate, it ain't ending any time soon, possibly forever.
B___r :(

Mr Jinx

Just caught up with the Luxembourg incident. Whether you are remain or leave I imagine being berated by a representative of a country with a population about 100th the size of ours and very dodgy history of tax havens and tax avoidance and banking secrecy does not do the remain cause any favours. And to do it without the UK representative there to defend themselves also looks bad. I'm no Boris fan, but episodes like this is the sort of thing that is looked back on when outcomes are revealed after elections. I am expecting to read lots of political capital in the coming days on this.
Totally agree. It was interesting to see the Daily Mail's take on it. Its early reports made Boris look a bit of a tit, but having another look this morning and they've changed their tack and it's all "Fury at Luxembourg". They've even gone as far as to find the chief noise perpetrator who, it turns out, is a Canadian opera singer. It's really going to resonate with your Mr and Mr Hardcastle's of Burnley. Another couple of % in the polls for Boris. Keep it coming.

IndoMike

The birth and subsequent rise of UKIP was all Dave's fault, of course.
1). Today Cameron said he regrets that he called for the referendum and that his Remain campaign failed. He took responsibility for the ensuing fark up and derided Johnson and Gove.
2). Cameron's problem was that he couldn't deal with UKIP politically, so he took a huge risk to overcome that. He caved in for political expediency
3). We were talking about Johnson and his trip to Luxembourg. Where does your post suddenly spring from?
4). I thought you were pro UKIP?

Mr Jinx

I just don't think Boris will bring himself to do a deal with Farage. It will alienate too many one nation Tory MP's (they still outnumber the ERG).
Maybe not. But it wouldn't be much different from the UKIP/Tory pact at the GE 2017. I don't recall that causing too much of a kerfuffle. Many won't even remember it.