• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
A general election would be more informative and needs to happen.
A 2nd referendum even more so, since it would refer purely to the topic of BREXIT, which is (unfortunately) the most pressing issue.
The problem with an election is that Johnson is so untrustworthy that people worry he:ll do some sneaky things when the cat's away.
One reason that Johnson et al don't want a referendum is that it would be difficult for them to repeat all the lies during the campaign. In addition, people have now been informed of the reality of BREXIT with NO DEAL, the many disadvantages, the possibility of the break-up of the UK Not an attractive proposal

Alistair20000

The judges need to decide on whether the law has been breached and only that. It looks as if the evidence brought in front of the Scottish judges with proceedings brought by Joanne Curry of SNP (I think) was more compelling than brought by Gina Miller and John Major in England. I would think this hearing will have all available evidence and legal arguments.

In the absence of a written Constitution, this will be setting a precedent so it will be interesting to see which way it goes.
I would expect all the arguments in both cases to be fully reviewed. As regards evidence it does not seem that the facts are in dispute.

The difficult matter as I see it is where the judges draw the line between what are legal and political matters.

IndoMike

Parliament is the assembly of the people's
representatives. It belongs to and is paid for by the people. By artificially shutting down Parliament in order to supress difficult questions and the opposition's right
to debate, then if it's not anti-constitutional it bloody well should be.
Please remember that Parliament was not created just to discuss BREXI : other important social issues need to be addressed in Parliament too. Johnson is gravely interfering with this. It really is a scandal.
You want true democracy by leaving the EU but approve of the prorogue! Are you joking?

IndoMike

I would expect all the arguments in both cases to be fully reviewed. As regards evidence it does not seem that the facts are in dispute.

The difficult matter as I see it is where the judges draw the line between what are legal and political matters.
A dangerous precedent to allow a Govt to shut down Parliament due to political expediency. Very dangerous.

Alistair20000

Parliament is the assembly of the people's
representatives. It belongs to and is paid for by the people. By artificially shutting down Parliament in order to supress difficult questions and the opposition's right
to debate, then if it's not anti-constitutional it bloody well should be.
Please remember that Parliament was not created just to discuss BREXI : other important social issues need to be addressed in Parliament too. Johnson is gravely interfering with this. It really is a scandal.
You want true democracy by leaving the EU but approve of the prorogue! Are you joking?
I thought we were losing just 4 days and given this Parliament is not passing anything that goes beyond kicking the can down the road does it make any feckin’ difference ?

IndoMike

I thought we were losing just 4 days and given this Parliament is not passing anything that goes beyond kicking the can down the road does it make any feckin’ difference ?
Objection : don't think the judges will deliberate on the duration of the prorogue or feckers kicking the can down the road, Ali.

Alistair20000

Objection : don't think the judges will deliberate on the duration of the prorogue or feckers kicking the can down the road, Ali.
I am not talking about the judges Indo. I want to know what you think this useless Zombie Parliament is going to do that is of any practical use in sitting for an extra 4 days.

IndoMike

I am not talking about the judges Indo. I want to know what you think this useless Zombie Parliament is going to do that is of any practical use in sitting for an extra 4 days.
Well, I can only repeat for the millionth time that if Cameron hadn't started this fuckfarce 3 years ago prorogues wouldn't be an issue. Since I didn't believe in the principle of said referendum in the first place I wash my hands of the consequences.

And I want to know what you think about my posts #4933 and 4934.

Rosencrantz

Nothing will be resolved with this parliament whichever side of the fence you sit on. That's why a general election will happen in November. The only problem will be, what if there is another hung parliament or minority government, which is entirely possible or even probable. The extremes of all parties are so entrenched and even though party loyalty is showing signs of fracturing, I cannot see enough MP's compromising any time. The only party that has a realistic chance of a majority is the Conservatives but not if they don't marginalise the Brexit Party. I just don't think Boris will bring himself to do a deal with Farage. It will alienate too many one nation Tory MP's (they still outnumber the ERG).

And to think we have barely started Brexit really 🤪.

Avening Posse

Just caught up with the Luxembourg incident. Whether you are remain or leave I imagine being berated by a representative of a country with a population about 100th the size of ours and very dodgy history of tax havens and tax avoidance and banking secrecy does not do the remain cause any favours. And to do it without the UK representative there to defend themselves also looks bad. I'm no Boris fan, but episodes like this is the sort of thing that is looked back on when outcomes are revealed after elections. I am expecting to read lots of political capital in the coming days on this.