• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
His job is to take wickets, not score runs. Bowlers are lucky to average 10 in test matches.
Agreed, and I've always lamented England's policy of often selecting inferior bowlers because they can bat a bit (e.g. when the out of form Ashley Giles was preferred to the in-form Monty Panesar under Fletcher for this reason) but if you're in at 9 you need to be closer to 15-20, and be able to hold an end up. Archer is looking more like a 10-11, yet we have someone with a Test ton (admittedly his batting has gone downhill since he got a knock on the bonce) at 11.

Leach, who I believe is averaging 4 in domestic Cricket this season, seems well suited to this role. Dig in, let the batsman at the other end do the bulk of the scoring.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Warner? Really? The guy with three successive ducks? I know you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Denly, but he has scored shedloads more than Warner in this series including gutsy 50s in the second innings of the last two Tests.

I'd have Root in there instead of Woakes, and Paine in for Bairstow (albeit this is a very close call as both have been poor). Your bowling attack looks right to me.

So:

Burns
Denly
Root
Smith
Labuschagne
Stokes
Paine
Cummins
Broad
Lyon
Hazelwood

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Warner? Really? The guy with three successive ducks? I know you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Denly, but he has scored shedloads more than Warner in this series including gutsy 50s in the second innings of the last two Tests.

I'd have Root in there instead of Woakes, and Paine in for Bairstow (albeit this is a very close call as both have been poor). Your bowling attack looks right to me.

So:

Burns
Denly
Root
Smith
Labuschagne
Stokes
Paine
Cummins
Broad
Lyon
Hazelwood
Opinions, Jason.
The reason I chose Warner is because he is the better batsman proven over several years. There's no doubt that Broad had his number in this series and he has been very poor. Denly has serious weaknesses in his batting and has struggled throughout, despite a couple of decent innings. So I'm thinking that Warner's problems are temporary. And don't forget Broad will be in the same side so can't bowl at him :)
I didn't really choose Woakes instead of Root, but it did work out that way. I agree that the weakness in my team could be one batsman short, but having Smith is like having two.
Interesting that neither of us chose Archer..
Thanks for having a bash.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Opinions, Jason.
The reason I chose Warner is because he is the better batsman proven over several years. There's no doubt that Broad had his number in this series and he has been very poor. Denly has serious weaknesses in his batting and has struggled throughout, despite a couple of decent innings. So I'm thinking that Warner's problems are temporary. And don't forget Broad will be in the same side so can't bowl at him :)
I didn't really choose Woakes instead of Root, but it did work out that way. I agree that the weakness in my team could be one batsman short, but having Smith is like having two.
Interesting that neither of us chose Archer..
Thanks for having a bash.
But of course this exercise is to pick the XI of this Ashes, otherwise Anderson should be in there despite only featuring for five minutes. Agreed Warner is *normally* better than Denly.

Archer has blown hot and cold for me - the others have been more hot than cold.

IndoMike

But of course this exercise is to pick the XI of this Ashes, otherwise Anderson should be in there despite only featuring for five minutes. Agreed Warner is *normally* better than Denly.

Archer has blown hot and cold for me - the others have been more hot than cold.
You're right. To be honest I didn't really want to pick any of the openers except Burns.
Agree totally about Archer. He:s a bit inconsistent and I don't feel he can maintain accuracy over longer spells, whereas the Aussies have bowled consistently well. Cummings is a "machine". Think he bowled in the WC too. Incredible fitness and stamina.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's amazing to think how injury-prone Cummins used to be and how he has recovered - like Ryan Harris, who eventually had to chuck it in (and others like Shane Bond for NZ), he'd play a Test, do really well then be out for another 18 months.

IndoMike

It's amazing to think how injury-prone Cummins used to be and how he has recovered - like Ryan Harris, who eventually had to chuck it in (and others like Shane Bond for NZ), he'd play a Test, do really well then be out for another 18 months.
He's a bit of a beast now .
England all out for 294.
Leach held up well 21 n.o.
Buttler couldn't keep going.

IndoMike

Warner out ct behind.
Strangely the TMS commentators and umpire didn't think his bat was anywhere near the ball, but the sensor showed a spike. Nightmare series for Warner. Something's up.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Broad will be furious to see his prey escape him this time!

IndoMike

Broad will be furious to see his prey escape him this time!
He will. Never mind : hopefully he can get Smith out before he reaches 200..-;😒