• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Record employment, wage growth up, inflation steady at the mythical 2%, house prices steady if not falling a little, the list goes on. Everything is rosy from where I'm looking. Don't believe the hype mate. You've obviously been reading too much Guardian from afar.
Whenever I read the Guardian and Observer I sense writers with their champagne glasses much less than half full.

IndoMike

Record employment, wage growth up, inflation steady at the mythical 2%, house prices steady if not falling a little, the list goes on. Everything is rosy from where I'm looking. Don't believe the hype mate. You've obviously been reading too much Guardian from afar.
Ah, but I'm just one click away from WA, FB, Messenger and ..... . .. ..
THE GUARDIAN !!!
Plenty of info from the media, friends and family to consider
.I do look at the Telegraph, too, but it's difficult for them to be honest and unbiased considering Johnson was/is their star writer.
Hopefully all will go well with NO DEAL and there will just be a few hiccups, although logic points to a different outcome.

Grecian2K

And when I read the Daily Heil or the Torygraph I sense writers squeezed into their lederhosen with their glasses of imaginary schnapps full to overflowing.

arthur

Everything is rosy from where I'm looking.
And where precisely are you looking from? Out of sight of the food banks facing unprecedented demand? Untouched by the legions of mentally ill sleeping on our streets? Not in the queue for a council house while you and your family move from one shorthold tenancy to another? Unburdened by an elderly relative needing affordable, good quality social care? Not wandering the streets desperate for a slash because all the public toilets have been shut? Not needing the police to investigate the burglary that's just happened in your house? Not needing a doctor's appointment any time soon? Not living in a country where the Prime Minister's name is chanted with approval by right wing extremists?

Lucky old you, that's all I can say...

DB9

And where precisely are you looking from? Out of sight of the food banks facing unprecedented demand? Untouched by the legions of mentally ill sleeping on our streets? Not in the queue for a council house while you and your family move from one shorthold tenancy to another? Unburdened by an elderly relative needing affordable, good quality social care? Not wandering the streets desperate for a slash because all the public toilets have been shut? Not needing the police to investigate the burglary that's just happened in your house? Not needing a doctor's appointment any time soon? Not living in a country where the Prime Minister's name is chanted with approval by right wing extremists?

All of the above, if there is a GE or 2nd referendum might vote TBP because Farage tells them who he considers to be at fault for their woes and they believe it because they feel left out, ignored and disenfranchised

IndoMike

People who are retired with a decent pension and their own home or have a guaranteed income, own home and guaranteed pension can survive NO DEAL. The problem is for the millions who don't have that luxury Yellowhammer is already warning that these will be the people who will suffer most.
I don't get why so many people disregard the fate of the not well-off. Most work hard to put food on the table. Many are not well off because they haven't received an inheritance and/or were brought up in a bad environment and/or just were not suited to an academic education. None of these are crimes, right? Just misfortune or lack of opportunity, but they are "the ignored".

elginCity

£4.6 billion lumped on short positions for No Deal Brexit by Johnson’s hedge fund backers, who put up 60% of his total campaign fund. Up to £8 billion bet to date, including a significant wedge from JRM’s Somerset Capital Fund, whereby he personally stands to make millions should the UK exit with no deal. All out there, a matter of public record.

How is it in any way moral for MPs to drive a policy, speculate on its consequences that rewards a few, and impoverishes so many ? Brexiters ?

Mr Jinx

We've been through all this before. To pick up on some of your points...yes, I was burgled over ten years ago during Labour's reign and guess what, the police response was beyond rubbish then. The same with getting doctor's appointments; it's no worse today. I work in central London and have actually seen a decrease in people sleeping rough the last 5 years. As for public toilets, McDonald's picked up the slack years ago, do keep up.

Things I have noticed recently: wages most definitely have gone up (mine included :)), job opportunities have increased, primary school places have become less squeezed (can't yet comment on secondaries), houses have become a little more affordable, so too big ticket items like cars, TVs etc.

So yeah, not all doom and gloom.

IndoMike

£4.6 billion lumped on short positions for No Deal Brexit by Johnson’s hedge fund backers, who put up 60% of his total campaign fund. Up to £8 billion bet to date, including a significant wedge from JRM’s Somerset Capital Fund, whereby he personally stands to make millions should the UK exit with no deal. All out there, a matter of public record.

How is it in any way moral for MPs to drive a policy, speculate on its consequences that rewards a few, and impoverishes so many ? Brexiters ?
Assuming that this is true (and I certainly don't disbelieve you) it is scandalous, a kind of insider trading, and corrupt. Why the hell doesn't the press (well, not the Tory press) go after this?!
I'd like Ali's and Jason's comments on this.

arthur

We've been through all this before. To pick up on some of your points...yes, I was burgled over ten years ago during Labour's reign and guess what, the police response was beyond rubbish then. The same with getting doctor's appointments; it's no worse today. I work in central London and have actually seen a decrease in people sleeping rough the last 5 years. As for public toilets, McDonald's picked up the slack years ago, do keep up.

Things I have noticed recently: wages most definitely have gone up (mine included :)), job opportunities have increased, primary school places have become less squeezed (can't yet comment on secondaries), houses have become a little more affordable, so too big ticket items like cars, TVs etc.

So yeah, not all doom and gloom.
But I thought queues for doctors and the squeeze on primary school places were intolerable because of all those E U immigrants?

Good to note that in Jinx world "not all doom and gloom" = "everything is rosy"