• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think they even care, We will get people saying we're going to get a deal and we've done loads to prevent these things happening, That I hope is true But they think it's more important to deliver Brexit and risk these things happening which to me is crazy
I think even Johnson must be feeling nervous about this. If NO DEAL goes through and the worst scenarios become reality, Johnson and his cohorts will have a lot to answer for.
The problem about planning in advance, there have been so many ministerial changes under the Tory Govt that one doubts that the planning has run smoothly. And disaster planning is not so simple, either. We all know that planning covers the theory, but unexpected events can quickly make our plans redundant.
Yeah, and they don't care much either : only enough to save their own bacon.

tavyred

Encouraging to see that there has been some disquiet at the judgment from earlier today. I’m not sure a court second guessing a politicians motivations and not recognising that part of the game of politics is adversarial in nature should be part of its remit. I fully expect the Supreme Court to rule in the governments favour next week.

IndoMike

Encouraging to see that there has been some disquiet at the judgment from earlier today. I’m not sure a court second guessing a politicians motivations and not recognising that part of the game of politics is adversarial in nature should be part of its remit. I fully expect the Supreme Court to rule in the governments favour next week.
Yes, I agree with your conclusion. I'm sure that the opposition expect this too based on previous judgements. However, I expect the Queen not to be amused. I imagine Royalists will also be dismayed that Johnson was not totally honest with her.
Hopefully for you NO DEAL will go through

IndoMike

You wouldn't think that a government would demand to leave the EU knowing the potential risks to its people as highlighted in Yellowhammer. A country shooting itself in the foot. For what? When everything was already fine and we were no.2 in the EU economically.
And after NO DEAL, years and years of negotiations and uncertainty. It is absolute madness. Madness.

IndoMike

Apart from years of austerity, increase in violent crime, increase in the number of homeless, deterioration in the condition of infrastructure, the evaporation of the High St, the selling off of thousands of assets, billions of pounds wasted, and the potential for rioting, increased food prices, shortages of food and medicine, chaos at the ports, breakdown of our national security,
national disunity and lack of respect for the law, what have the Tories ever done for us?

DB9

Yep, All you have to do is put the word "Biased" out there and people jump on it. I'm not a constitutional expert or have any experience in all things Judges do but they do and until the Supreme Court says otherwise on Tuesday the judgement should stand without people coming up with conspiracy theories or accusations of biased for their own political views.

tavyred

You wouldn't think that a government would demand to leave the EU knowing the potential risks to its people as highlighted in Yellowhammer. A country shooting itself in the foot. For what? When everything was already fine and we were no.2 in the EU economically.
And after NO DEAL, years and years of negotiations and uncertainty. It is absolute madness. Madness.
I listened to a radio debate last night where one of the contributors quite rightly IMO made the point that remainers are trying to apply an economic argument to a referendum decision that was based around values.

DB9

Telegraph saying that Johnson is about to offer an olive branch to the 21 Tories who lost the whip last week giving them chance to appeal. Think this was a bit of a stupid thing to do in the first place and is probably pressure from senior Tories that he may have went too far

IndoMike

I listened to a radio debate last night where one of the contributors quite rightly IMO made the point that remainers are trying to apply an economic argument to a referendum decision that was based around values.
[/QUOTE

Does he think that money is not important to the people? As Clinton (or somebody) said: "It's the economy, stupid".
But when it's becoming clear there will be a big economic impact the Leavers suddenly say it's not relevant..😅
But it's not just about the economy : many have raised other issues, too.
Anyway : what are these "values"?

Mr Jinx

Apart from years of austerity, increase in violent crime, increase in the number of homeless, deterioration in the condition of infrastructure, the evaporation of the High St, the selling off of thousands of assets, billions of pounds wasted, and the potential for rioting, increased food prices, shortages of food and medicine, chaos at the ports, breakdown of our national security, national disunity and lack of respect for the law, what have the Tories ever done for us?
Record employment, wage growth up, inflation steady at the mythical 2%, house prices steady if not falling a little, the list goes on. Everything is rosy from where I'm looking. Don't believe the hype mate. You've obviously been reading too much Guardian from afar.