• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh dear. Isn't victimhood wonderful...
I missed that. Those dreadful EU bullies. How dare they give 400 milion quid to Cornwall's development every year. Cruel barstewards!

IndoMike

For once we are in firm agreement. The fact that the Left keep dredging him up is laughable. The only reason they do is because, lets face it, they're a little bit scared of him.
Afraid of his influence over Johnson, who changes his mind on a whim. Because J has no principles, he can easily be persuaded.

iscalad

Well, Iscalad, if it's going to the Supreme Court and confirmed that Johnson scandalously misled the Queen then there's something to see.
Hmmm, we shall see.

iscalad

I missed that. Those dreadful EU bullies. How dare they give 400 milion quid to Cornwall's development every year. Cruel barstewards!
No wonder the Cornish voted to leave.

arthur

Johnson, who changes his mind on a whim. Because J has no principles, he can easily be persuaded.
Good article about Johnson and his situation here. Leavers may not like it, but I can't see any factual inaccuracies

As a candidate for the Tory leadership, Johnson boasted that Brussels would yield once confronted with a UK government prepared to quit the bloc with no deal at all. Conversations in Paris and Berlin have disabused him of that notion.... The EU position, restated by Leo Varadkar, the Irish taoiseach, in a press conference on Monday, is that the basic provisions of May’s deal would survive even a no-deal scenario.....Johnson stood next to Varadkar in Dublin, shuffling like a chastened child.

....Last summer Johnson invited a private meeting of business leaders to imagine how Trump might handle Brexit: “There’d be all sorts of breakdowns, all sorts of chaos. Everyone would think he’d gone mad. But actually you might get somewhere.”
Application of that theory has not gone to plan. Moderate Tories have proved less indulgent of unhinged leadership than their Republican counterparts....Those who depict the Tory leader as a
British Trump (including the US president himself) underestimate his capacity for cowardice. He also likes to be liked, which is why he promises contradictory things to different people. As mayor of London, he could be persuaded to support and oppose the same idea in consecutive meetings.

....He reads from the Trump playbook at home, but puts it hastily down when grownup EU leaders enter the room. He is too weak-willed to play the typical nationalist strongman. He saddled the populist tiger and rode it towards a no-deal Brexit, but look closely and you see a queasy expression, as if there is a part of him that wants to get off.

IndoMike

No wonder the Cornish voted to leave.
Yes, funny ain't it?

IndoMike

Good article about Johnson and his situation here. Leavers may not like it, but I can't see any factual inaccuracies

As a candidate for the Tory leadership, Johnson boasted that Brussels would yield once confronted with a UK government prepared to quit the bloc with no deal at all. Conversations in Paris and Berlin have disabused him of that notion.... The EU position, restated by Leo Varadkar, the Irish taoiseach, in a press conference on Monday, is that the basic provisions of May’s deal would survive even a no-deal scenario.....Johnson stood next to Varadkar in Dublin, shuffling like a chastened child.

....Last summer Johnson invited a private meeting of business leaders to imagine how Trump might handle Brexit: “There’d be all sorts of breakdowns, all sorts of chaos. Everyone would think he’d gone mad. But actually you might get somewhere.”
Application of that theory has not gone to plan. Moderate Tories have proved less indulgent of unhinged leadership than their Republican counterparts....Those who depict the Tory leader as a
British Trump (including the US president himself) underestimate his capacity for cowardice. He also likes to be liked, which is why he promises contradictory things to different people. As mayor of London, he could be persuaded to support and oppose the same idea in consecutive meetings.

....He reads from the Trump playbook at home, but puts it hastily down when grownup EU leaders enter the room. He is too weak-willed to play the typical nationalist strongman. He saddled the populist tiger and rode it towards a no-deal Brexit, but look closely and you see a queasy expression, as if there is a part of him that wants to get off.
I am sure that is all true. As I said, he is not guided by principles, but by ego. Unfortunately the inflated ego does not match his competency. Strangely many think he is a character but is actually devoid of it. This is not me being spiteful or playing at amateur psychology : many of his close associates and friends confirm this. He can be entertaining, but so was Peter Sellers : a genius at comedy but shallow inside. People have been fooled by the benevolent buffoon image.
Johnson was desperate to become the top dog, but once there he has nothing to offer.
So it wouldn't surprise me if he went volta-face and privately wanted a deal, especially since his NO DEAL is making his life much less comfortable than he imagined when his eyes were fixed purely on the prize. Is he evil? No. Just a chancer with no substance. Interesting cover, but blank pages.
Finally, imagine how big his ego must be that he should deceive and indirectly implicate the Queen of England without batting an eyelid.

Mr Jinx

Yet more Graun echo chamber guff. I mean who tf doesn't like to be liked? He'd be more unhinged if he didn't.

arthur

Yet more Graun echo chamber guff. I mean who tf doesn't like to be liked? He'd be more unhinged if he didn't.
Margaret Thatcher, for one. Must try harder...

Mr Jinx

Margaret Thatcher, for one. Must try harder...
She didn't care that much about not being liked. Subtle difference.