• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
It goes to the Supreme Court next Tuesday, so Parliament remains closed until then.

If the Supreme Court upholds this ruling, Parliament will re-open for, I believe, two days. It then closes again for the conference season.
Just as with most Remainer actions it doesn’t advance the Brexit situation any, it merely delays things in the hope that somehow Brexit is reversed. That said, I welcome the right of people to challenge the executive in the courts, our democracy is working as it should.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That said, I welcome the right of people to challenge the executive in the courts, our democracy is working as it should.
I agree, although it's somewhat galling that one of the chief litigators is a former PM who used prorogation purely for nefarious means.

iscalad

Not relevant to this case - the reason this case was heard in a Scottish court initially was because the English court was closed.
Did Boris close it early?

arthur

May's deal with NI only backstop plus some commitment to environmental standards and workers rights and subject to a confirmatory referendum = a majority in Parliament, the salvaging of Johnson's career and two fingers to the ERG and DUP.

How likely?

DB9

I'd be interested to know the grounds on which they based this decision, as on the face of it this is an absurd ruling.
They say our PM was "motivated by improper purpose of stymying Parliament" and " The court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the Prime Minister's advice to the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect"

According to these judges

elginCity

I agree, although it's somewhat galling that one of the chief litigators is a former PM who used prorogation purely for nefarious means.
Tory PM, who subsequently set up the MP standards committee prorogued to bury a report on Tory MPs trousering bribes, during a Tory party crisis, and a current Tory party member and activist describes it as ‘nefarious’.

Tory PM illegally prorogues Parliament in an attempt to silence parliamentary democracy, during a national crisis, and said Tory party member and activist is fine with it.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Apparently this ruling means that Johnson's advice to the Queen re prorogue was unlawful. Of course, this is all technical stuff and it's possible nobody will give a sh+t. But, we don't want an unelected PM and his bodyguard, ex-doorman/bouncer Cummings, running around breaking the law, do we?!
As a patriot, I find it disgraceful that these rogues should mislead our queen.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Tory PM, who subsequently set up the MP standards committee prorogued to bury a report on Tory MPs trousering bribes, in a Tory party crisis, and a current Tory party member and activist describes it as ‘nefarious’.

Tory PM illegally prorogues Parliament in an attempt to silence parliamentary democracy, in a national crisis, and said Tory party member and activist is fine with it.
Proroguing Parliament in order to deliver a new Queen's Speech is perfectly legitimate - in fact Labour were demanding it prior to it actually happening.

IndoMike

'Twas ever thus. If the Dems come out for full A50 revocation, Labour are well and truly trapped like never before. The GE will then become Tories for Leave, LibDems for Remain and Labour, err, um, err...

And on the subject of Leave, a lot of talk today around the potential TBP/Tory pact. Something along the lines of what I highlighted the other day: you give us these Northern Leave heavy 90 seats to contest and you can have the rest. Will it happen? Unsure. If it does, it's Goodnight Vienna.

There is an assumption on Labour's part that if Boris does extend then his support will collapse (like May's), but all Johnson will say is that he was forced to by the Remainer Parliament...if I don't extend I'll go to prison...people Vs the Establishment, yada yada. This isn't going to end well for Corbyn, it really isn't.
If he went to prison he'd walk it : nothing like martyrdom to inspire the troops
*If as a lawbreaker he'd be allowed to stand

DB9

Proroguing Parliament in order to deliver a new Queen's Speech is perfectly legitimate - in fact Labour were demanding it prior to it actually happening.
Isn't that what the judges are alluding to, That this wasn't to do With proroguing Parliament so he could work on the Queens speech?