• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I remember years ago people used the caramel cup gold foil on the eagle lander

Those were the days

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
So having 5 minutes today I thought I would give the Chevy bonnet a quick blow over this is a mix of candy cherry red and right afterwards to very light dust coat of the gold glitter spray had to use the dog ball throwing thing for the glitter to make it further away so as to not lay it on too heavy which worked quite well when this is cured properly it will get a colour sand then lacquered over the top as you can see a little orange peel in the second pic isn't major but still needs to be a high gloss finish.
Just gotta figure a way of colouring the glass green may have to use a Quality Street wrapper !
What’s your airbrush set up mate?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Airbrush …… Airbrush ?? Old school here mate had the cans made up by a mate !

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Damn you Lez for starting this thread !! Managed to pop home for an hour and sort the fenders and body for the Chevy , Just heavy enough on the gold flake to be old school , The Plymouth I may try something new which may involve some Sylvanian Familys net curtain from one of their houses as I've never seen that sort of work done in 1/25 scale or even Clingfilm put over fresh paint to give a marbled effect works very well over a metallic purple / blue.

You get the effect quite good in light and dark.

Attachments

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
That finish does look a bit awesome

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
That finish does look a bit awesome
That's before the colour sand , Glad I didn't leave it with the Ratrod black prime effect.
There is still flames and a name for the car to be printed and put on before the lacquer final coat.

The black etch primer coat underneath shows through the red just enough for the finer details like the outline of the bootlid etc

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster

And finally

If you put the Caddy on your watch list and the click similar items there are a few in different colours Lez.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I didnt really want die cast but I might have to go down that road and respray it

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I didnt really want die cast but I might have to go down that road and respray it
Must admit Lez when you said about getting a T4 or T5 i did look for somejust for curiousity but without luck, Mostly either VW campers or T3 vans, Think the T4 or T5 are not considered "Cool Enough" for a plastic kit to be made yet. As i said earlier i did see that someone converted a Golf Mk1 or Mk2 into a Caddy, Perhaps a option?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Diecast is easy enough to pull apart and strip paint … Caustic soda and boiling hot water