• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm ok from the keeper to the right side, struggling a bit the other way way though.

Dean Roberts not Edwards I think. Didn't Edwards join later on the season as he doesn't seem to be there.
Yes of course..Dean Edwards did join from Wolves later that season.
I knew Dean Roberts through a family acquaintance in those days & recognised him,but still put Dean Edwards !:D..

Rosencrantz

Yes of course..Dean Edwards did join from Wolves later that season.
I knew Dean Roberts through a family acquaintance in those days & recognised him,but still put Dean Edwards !:D..
I was mascot later in the season against Aldershot (4-0 Kellow 2 , Roberts 2). My gran put the pre match pic with Viney and oppo skipper (and ref Bob Hamer 😠) hanging in the hall so it was the first thing anyone at the front door saw. Viney then became our Brittanic Insurance manager a couple of years later and just as he was introduced by our regular chap he recognised himself in the pic. Liked his tea and biscuits.

grecIAN Harris

I was on about the Timothy Claypole comment.

Rosencrantz

I was on about the Timothy Claypole comment.
My bad. Those who know, know. Those who don't will just go "meh" when explained.

Oldsmobile-88

9th September 1972..Won 3-0 against Stockport at SJP,a game sadly marred by the death on the pitch of Referee Jim Finn from a heart attack during the 2nd half..

Exehausted

9th September 1972..Won 3-0 against Stockport at SJP,a game sadly marred by the death on the pitch of Referee Jim Finn from a heart attack during the 2nd half..
I remember that incident so well. No fourth official in those days, so an appeal was put out for a qualified ref to come forward. Then an announcement for a Doctor. Up until that point I don't think anyone realised it so serious.

Oldsmobile-88

I remember that incident so well. No fourth official in those days, so an appeal was put out for a qualified ref to come forward. Then an announcement for a Doctor. Up until that point I don't think anyone realised it so serious.
In those days,the only medical staff at the ground were St John Ambulance youngsters occasionally.

Incredible to think now that the game carried on with someone from the crowd running the line(a local league ref)

Oldsmobile-88

After the tragedy,referees had to have a more stringent fitness assessment from the following season.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member