• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle v Exeter City Matchday Thread.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I love Bowman but he should have scored at least 2 yesterday
I think thats going to be repeated this season

I think he may be having a lean period, goalwise, as players do from time to time but he has more to offer than just goals. He works hard and is fully committed. His physicality is a problem even for league 2's uncompromising defenders. He uses the other teams resources up by often being double marked and also, therefore, frees up space for others, in my opinion. He is a talisman. That bloke you would want by your side if you were in the trenches. Good for team spirit/moral. He reminds me of the Rugby player, Lawrence Dellaglio in that someone is always trying to punch or elbow him. That has a value in that he is upsetting them and their eye is not on the ball/game. I would like to see him get 15-20 goals this season too though.

Spoonz Red E

Well as we played some of the Carlisle defending was embarrasingly bad. The first Lee Martin chance came from a simple long ball down the pitch, the move for our first goal started when a Carlisle player was dallying on the ball in the middle of his own half and for the second Aaron Martin was completely unmarked at a corner.
They had a tough job.
As mentioned by Money_On_Exeter above don't underestimate our running off the ball and having supporting players up top.

e.g.
Jake Taylor's shot against the post after Bowman & Lee Martin were pulling defenders about letting Law tee up Taylor.
Bowman and Taylor going on runs to create the channel for Williams's lovely ball through to Lee Martin for the first goal.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love Bowman but he should have scored at least 2 yesterday
I think we have all been spoiled by having watched Jayden Stockley who is one of the few strikers who was both a physical threat and a fox-in-the box striker. If Ryan gets 12 or 15 goals this season and continues to annoy defenders the way he is doing then he will have done his job for the season.
And, anyway, why pick on Ryan when Lee Martin should have had a hat-trick yesterday.

IndoMike

I think we have all been spoiled by having watched Jayden Stockley who is one of the few strikers who was both a physical threat and a fox-in-the box striker. If Ryan gets 12 or 15 goals this season and continues to annoy defenders the way he is doing then he will have done his job for the season.
And, anyway, why pick on Ryan when Lee Martin should have had a hat-trick yesterday.
Show me one post where somebody has picked on Ryan

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Show me one post where somebody has picked on Ryan
Ok, 'pick on' Ryan is perhaps not the right word but I was responding to post 190 which suggested that Ryan should have scored 2 but didn't mention that other players were just as culpable for not taking their chances.

IndoMike

Ok, 'pick on' Ryan is perhaps not the right word but I was responding to post 190 which suggested that Ryan should have scored 2 but didn't mention that other players were just as culpable for not taking their chances.
Ok.

Grecian Max

I mentioned Bowman because there we two chances in particular that he should have put away. I know he’s not a mega goalscorer, but when it’s on the plate...

Liam Martin missed a sitter too.

Grecian Max

I grew up watching Flack lead the line, I’m not spoiled in terms of goalscorer ;)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we have all been spoiled by having watched Jayden Stockley who is one of the few strikers who was both a physical threat and a fox-in-the box striker.
Excuse me whilst Jayden did get his fair share of goals for us last season he also missed twice that as well. He also didn't have the running that Bowman has got