• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm in total agreement on that. I think things would have to change massively for it to be sustainable to regularly see the ECFC women play at the Park. I would personally be in favour of picking a biggish game well in advance and advertising it really well though, I think if priced properly quite a few would go. All about timing and marketing, and I reckon it would wash it's face once player wages are pretty much taken out of the equation. It would also be a good thing to do, and maybe something the Trust could push for
But this is Danny's main complaint : that ECFC Women don't play at SJP.

DB9

Yes, but it's not really about comparing it to the men's game. I don't think anybody really argues that. It is interesting that 31,000 would attend this at £6.50 a throw. Maybe it's a refreshing change to see 22 people play for the love of the game and not have to be paid £100k a week (or whatever the going rate is these days, I lost interest in the Prem years ago). When the Olympics were on in the UK the only tickets I could get were for two women's football matches, and one of them was England vs Brazil at Wembley. Wembley was full, and it was the loudest football match I have ever been to, the atmosphere was amazing,, and it was a brilliant night out. I have not seen a women's game again mind, not in terms of actually being there anyway, but I definitely would go again to see a top flight match or an international, especially at 8 quid or whatever.
When the Olympics were on over here the buzz and excitement was amazing and virtually every sport was a sell out including the women's GB team, What i'm saying is things like Olympics, Prem teams opening their stadiums to women's WSL games on an international break and the Womens World Cup are one offs every few years or so, Domesticly the game can't sustain what Dannyred is suggesting, Especially at ECFC Women's level at this time, It may change if things go in the right direction but the cost to us and other smaller teams who have a women's team at this time, opening their stadiums is jst notviable with all the costs that are involved, Frustrating yes but a reality at the moment. I'd say at the moment lets keep celebrating the ECFC's women's team encouraging start to the season where ever they play and keep up with the info about the team which in itself might encourage people to pop along to their games

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Anyone know what the Women's team think? Or is their view on these matters not important?

Avening Posse

Just to be clear to people who have replied to my posts, I was not responding to Danny's posts, I was just stating that 31,000 was a decent turnout for the game in Manchester and continued from there. I've said somewhere above I don't think it would be sustainable for the women's team to play regularly at the Park. I still maintain a well advertised and incentivised one off game at the right time would be a good thing though, and who knows from there onwards. Little acorns and all that

DB9

Anyone know what the Women's team think? Or is their view on these matters not important?
Are any of the women's team exeweb users? Then we can get a view from the "inside"

Spoonz Red E

There is a middle ground here (no pun intended).

The examples cited by Dannyred are showpiece games and it could be possible for the Club to commit to a couple of similar showpiece games for the women at SJP in a season.

A game at the start of the season and one towards the end would have a good chance of being played during better weather so less strain on the pitch.
With a fixed date well in advance they could be promoted strongly and we may see if we can emulate the 650 who came to the last game.

Women's football is playing catch-up after decades of disinterest from the FA in regards of it being viably developed as a spectator sport.
The Club and Community Trust are making good progress in terms of player and team development and it does have the facilities to make steps towards encouraging the spectator sport side as well.

The relative 'quality' argument has some logic in terms of numbers through the gates but, to me, women's football should be seen in its own right and not in terms of 'is it as good as the men's'. It's not just a case of how many of the men's teams supporters can we attract but how many brand new supporters could come (think back to when we hosted the Women's International)

As far as running costs are concerned - we would open just the Main Stand and Big Bank as per the EFL Trophy, Youth and U23 games.
If they are showpiece games with fun day and community elements tied in we could seek a sponsor to cover costs.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is a middle ground here (no pun intended).

The examples cited by Dannyred are showpiece games and it could be possible for the Club to commit to a couple of similar showpiece games for the women at SJP in a season.

A game at the start of the season and one towards the end would have a good chance of being played during better weather so less strain on the pitch.
With a fixed date well in advance they could be promoted strongly and we may see if we can emulate the 650 who came to the last game.

Women's football is playing catch-up after decades of disinterest from the FA in regards of it being viably developed as a spectator sport.
The Club and Community Trust are making good progress in terms of player and team development and it does have the facilities to make steps towards encouraging the spectator sport side as well.

The relative 'quality' argument has some logic in terms of numbers through the gates but, to me, women's football should be seen in its own right and not in terms of 'is it as good as the men's'. It's not just a case of how many of the men's teams supporters can we attract but how many brand new supporters could come (think back to when we hosted the Women's International)

As far as running costs are concerned - we would open just the Main Stand and Big Bank as per the EFL Trophy, Youth and U23 games.
If they are showpiece games with fun day and community elements tied in we could seek a sponsor to cover costs.
Pretty much what I have been arguing from the start of this circular debate, thanks for summarising the matter so clearly.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I understand several have privately expressed a desire to have SJP as their home and be treated equally. :censored:
But this is Danny's main complaint : that ECFC Women don't play at SJP.
I think we're reading different posts, Mike. I'd say Danny's main gripe is the misogyny, the lack of awareness as to how difficult it is for girls to be free to play football, bullying of girls who play football or express a wish to do so, etc etc. The desire to have ECFC Women players treated the same as male players, to have SJP as their home - after all, they use the ECFC name, badge, and brand. - is just one positive way the club could help recognise and overcome the (many) problems women still face in football. Assuming, of course, ECFC were serious about being a family club and not just using the term as a cynical marketing ploy.

DB9

I understand several have privately expressed a desire to have SJP as their home and be treated equally. :censored:

I think we're reading different posts, Mike. I'd say Danny's main gripe is the misogyny, the lack of awareness as to how difficult it is for girls to be free to play football, bullying of girls who play football or express a wish to do so, etc etc. The desire to have ECFC Women players treated the same as male players, to have SJP as their home - after all, they use the ECFC name, badge, and brand. - is just one positive way the club could help recognise and overcome the (many) problems women still face in football. Assuming, of course, ECFC were serious about being a family club and not just using the term as a cynical marketing ploy.
Think you're right Rae there is misogyny about women's football but i think the way Dannyred's going about it is trying to get them to run before they can walk, We have to be honest the women's game as it is now is a pretty new thing, Meaning that the bigger clubs are starting to take it seriously and are investing in their own women's teams. All i can remember about the game a decade or so ago is the Doncaster Belles, If i remember rightly they were the sort of "Man Utd" of the women's game, winning most things but that was in an era when they did play in front of a few people. Now after those stupid rules the FA had in place are now gone (Thank Goodness) the women's game is starting to develop. The EPL getting involved, Sponsorship starting to move in the right direction and more importantly TV exposure is hopefully opening up, Saying that having games on "The Red Button" is not the same as having them on a main channel regulaly and a highlights programme in the dead of night doesn't help either, Me personally I would think C4 would be an excellent channel to show the games as they have had such a positive factor in the Paralymic movement which is going from strength to strength and it is mainly down to them taking a risk in showing it but it showed there was an appetite for it.

As for the quality of the football on offer, I said earlier that is subjective, Me personally i don't find it that good but it will improve I'm sure with the right level of investment, The recent WC showed the US team were miles above anyone else and that is what we have to strive for on the international stage, The home front, more domestic teams have to be involved, Decent wages to be paid though i don't think they will ever be on a par with the men's game because what they are offering a TV mogual like Sky don't think it's worth paying for it yet. As for playing at stadiums where the men play, Ok for the big teams to do it because they can swallow any losses inccured by opening their grounds but us smaller clubs would need a serious sponsor to be able to help offset any costs it would using them over a season, You can't do it for nothing or a loss.

The attitude to the women's game is getting better, It's not perfect by any means and needs to improve but it will take time

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course they’d love to play at SJP, as I’m sure would the Under 18’s and Stoke Hill Junior School, but ECFC for all of its community intentions is first and foremost a business, and the minute the club forgets that is the minute we risk sliding back into the financial abyss once again.

As interest builds and women’s crowds grow then absolutely no problem to play at SJP, but it should cover the bills at least. The odd showpiece match to increase the profile of the game then go for it, I think it would be good perhaps before or after a men’s game on a Saturday to entice the crowd to stay on.