• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

Arthur Davey

Saw the goal, Yep great goal but as a 90 min spectacle it's not there yet. Plus for me the women's game is objective, You see quality I don't see it yet. It'll come if it continues on this path but at the moment it's at an infancy stage, You're trying to make it run before it can walk and that won't end up well. The bread and butter is the domestic game, It's growing but has a long way to go. The England game and ticket sales are on the back of the WC, They have to keep doing well otherwise interest will wane
Quite so. You have to build things from the bottom upwards, otherwise they'll collapse.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Saw the goal, Yep great goal but as a 90 min spectacle it's not there yet. Plus for me the women's game is objective, You see quality I don't see it yet. It'll come if it continues on this path but at the moment it's at an infancy stage, You're trying to make it run before it can walk and that won't end up well. The bread and butter is the domestic game, It's growing but has a long way to go. The England game and ticket sales are on the back of the WC, They have to keep doing well otherwise interest will wane
Yes, the WC engendered a lot of interest : the colour of the spectacle, summertime joy, different styles of play, England in with a chance. But how about the wet and windy days we usually suffer October-March?
By the way, I'm not convinced that Neville is a very good manager. He made some very bad decisions in the SF which in my opinion cost us

grecIAN Harris

Specsavers are doing great deals at the moment as you clearly didn’t see the quality goal scored at the Eithad yesterday.
As an individual strike it's a good goal but it's not like it's something out of the ordinary. You could have gone to any one of hundreds of games yesterday from League football to Division 8 of the D&E and seen a strike that would match or better it. Most anybody who can kick a ball properly can hit a strike like that.

Dannyred

I have seen games at the highest levels over the last year and seen real quality, but I think it’s hard to compare with men’s football.

There are many problems with schools focusing on boys playing football and not girls, now boys are joining girls teams in the girls leagues which will have an affect on the amount of girls playing football too.

I think the future is bright but there is still work to be done including opening stadiums whether it’s full time or half a dozen games.

As I said I think the club should of let the city women’s team play at the start of the season to get new fans.

Let’s hope for another win today for City.

UTCW

DB9

I have seen games at the highest levels over the last year and seen real quality, but I think it’s hard to compare with men’s football.

There are many problems with schools focusing on boys playing football and not girls, now boys are joining girls teams in the girls leagues which will have an affect on the amount of girls playing football too.

I think the future is bright but there is still work to be done including opening stadiums whether it’s full time or half a dozen games.

As I said I think the club should of let the city women’s team play at the start of the season to get new fans.

Let’s hope for another win today for City.

UTCW
Never compared the men's and women's game, I'm just saying the women's game is at the start of a long journey, Attitudes have changed in schools which is such a good thing and those girls playing in school teams will be in a decade or so hopefully playing in a stronger, Well supported and well funded league. To me you're saying do all this straight away, That is not the answer, A steady rise in interest will benefit the game more

Avening Posse

It would be interesting to know how much it cost to go and watch compared to watching Citeh-United in the Premier League. I'll have a look. Prices start at £6.50 rising to a top end of £8.50. Compare that to Citeh's next home available Premier League tickets against Watford where prices start at£36.50 rising to a top end of £58.50. It answers everything you want to know why the attendance was so high and what the comparative ratings are between top end womens football and Premier League football. I'm sure if you looked back through time Citeh - United youth matches have had large attendances when it has been a big game. The first game between the two at this level of womens football was always going to attract a crowd and the timing of it was most definitely a contributing factor. Womens football is growing but there is still a long, long way to go. As I said pages back, give it seven to ten years time when the current u/14-15 girls are coming through. Then you'll see a major change.
Yes, but it's not really about comparing it to the men's game. I don't think anybody really argues that. It is interesting that 31,000 would attend this at £6.50 a throw. Maybe it's a refreshing change to see 22 people play for the love of the game and not have to be paid £100k a week (or whatever the going rate is these days, I lost interest in the Prem years ago). When the Olympics were on in the UK the only tickets I could get were for two women's football matches, and one of them was England vs Brazil at Wembley. Wembley was full, and it was the loudest football match I have ever been to, the atmosphere was amazing,, and it was a brilliant night out. I have not seen a women's game again mind, not in terms of actually being there anyway, but I definitely would go again to see a top flight match or an international, especially at 8 quid or whatever.

Avening Posse

Forgot to say, my step daughter was about 13 at the time and she absolutely loved it and it stuck in her memory, so much so that when the world cup was on recently and she was visiting me in Oz, we got up at 5am to watch the team, and it was because she wanted to with no prompting from me

StroudGrecian

Great to see 'Soton' being used as shorthand for Southampton again - takes me back to the old 'teleprinter' days :)

grecIAN Harris

Yes, but it's not really about comparing it to the men's game. I don't think anybody really argues that. It is interesting that 31,000 would attend this at £6.50 a throw. Maybe it's a refreshing change to see 22 people play for the love of the game and not have to be paid £100k a week (or whatever the going rate is these days, I lost interest in the Prem years ago). When the Olympics were on in the UK the only tickets I could get were for two women's football matches, and one of them was England vs Brazil at Wembley. Wembley was full, and it was the loudest football match I have ever been to, the atmosphere was amazing,, and it was a brilliant night out. I have not seen a women's game again mind, not in terms of actually being there anyway, but I definitely would go again to see a top flight match or an international, especially at 8 quid or whatever.
You will always get comparisons. Danny's continuing argument is about opening SJP for the women's side to play every week. ECFC are a professional club. To open the ground is going to cost money in terms of the general running of the ground. That means having enough paying customers to make it viable and there simply isn't enough to do so because of the popularity or lack of. He points to the Premier League clubs allowing their women's sides to play at The Etihad, The Emirates etc, etc. They have the financial scope to bankroll any potential loss because of the income of their make counterparts. ECFC aren't big enough to cope with that. The Trust aren't financially strong enough to swallow the cost. As I said on my post earlier, youth games attract bigger crowds and most of those are played at The Cat and Fiddle with the exception of the national cup matches. Until that gap reduces there will always be comparisons and that before you start on the comparisons of style and speed if the respective games.

Avening Posse

You will always get comparisons. Danny's continuing argument is about opening SJP for the women's side to play every week. ECFC are a professional club. To open the ground is going to cost money in terms of the general running of the ground. That means having enough paying customers to make it viable and there simply isn't enough to do so because of the popularity or lack of. He points to the Premier League clubs allowing their women's sides to play at The Etihad, The Emirates etc, etc. They have the financial scope to bankroll any potential loss because of the income of their make counterparts. ECFC aren't big enough to cope with that. The Trust aren't financially strong enough to swallow the cost. As I said on my post earlier, youth games attract bigger crowds and most of those are played at The Cat and Fiddle with the exception of the national cup matches. Until that gap reduces there will always be comparisons and that before you start on the comparisons of style and speed if the respective games.
I'm in total agreement on that. I think things would have to change massively for it to be sustainable to regularly see the ECFC women play at the Park. I would personally be in favour of picking a biggish game well in advance and advertising it really well though, I think if priced properly quite a few would go. All about timing and marketing, and I reckon it would wash it's face once player wages are pretty much taken out of the equation. It would also be a good thing to do, and maybe something the Trust could push for