• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tamiya lacquer paints, have you used them yet? just wonder as ive found a site selling them cheap with free carriage if you spend 80 quid or more..
I have used them, As I like Tamiya models I'm one for keeping consistency and use their paint products which I think are of a decent quality

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I have used them, As I like Tamiya models I'm one for keeping consistency and use their paint products which I think are of a decent quality
Are lacquer paints better than normal acrylic paints in the Tamiya range??

In you opinion??

DB9

Are lacquer paints better than normal acrylic paints in the Tamiya range??

In you opinion??
I think acrylic paint is better because they're water based and easier to handle, Lacquer paints end results look much better but hard to handle, dry quicker and can damage the plastic if you need to remove any, I think if you're more skilled then lacquer finishes looks awesome

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Lez check out this site and have a look at the top banner for cheapy kits ! https://www.hannants.co.uk/info/

Also while rubbing down the guidecoat on the Chevy mrs Ramone remarked it would look rather good as a ratrod gasser … As I haven't decided which colour scheme to go with as yet I may leave it in a mix of flat matt black (rubbed down in certain areas) finish the chassis then decide final colour choice , Still tempted with the burnt orange with flames on the sides.
while I'm deciding the Chevy route I'm going to start to channel section the Ford Coupe body which should be fun in 1/25 scale !

DB9

Out of interest Lez, What do you think your painting/Spray skills are now, Are you still at the trial and error stage or further on?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Out of interest Lez, What do you think your painting/Spray skills are now, Are you still at the trial and error stage or further on?
waiting my brush is exactly the same as when I was a teenager, I still have a good steady hand, Im finding the acrylics have moved on in massive steps and seem to cover to a nice level. I think the trial nd error stage with the airbrush will be with me for a while, im loving how well it covers and because its thinner paint the fine panel lines come thru lovely, ive been watching lots of YT videos on air brushing and lacquers seem to be the "in thing" so when the pots come ill have a play.. Ive been recommended Tamiya mixed with Mr Color Leveling thinner 50/50 mix.. quite a few recommend that on the forums. So ill try that too this week on a new build this weekend

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Lez check out this site and have a look at the top banner for cheapy kits ! https://www.hannants.co.uk/info/

Also while rubbing down the guidecoat on the Chevy mrs Ramone remarked it would look rather good as a ratrod gasser … As I haven't decided which colour scheme to go with as yet I may leave it in a mix of flat matt black (rubbed down in certain areas) finish the chassis then decide final colour choice , Still tempted with the burnt orange with flames on the sides.
while I'm deciding the Chevy route I'm going to start to channel section the Ford Coupe body which should be fun in 1/25 scale !
What paints will you use?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
What paints will you use?
The guide coat is a satin black after I've finished there will be a medium bronze/gold colour closely followed with a thin candy apple orange or red which will be thin enough for the coat underneath to shine through to give me more depth then once dried thoroughly that will have a light sanding then clear lacquered on top.
TBH Lez often on one off builds like this I will have the paints mixed for me and put into spray tins at marsh barton in Exeter by a mate same thing as used on real cars hence the extra time spent getting the body work right.

Probably wont use that same combo on another car different base coats will give different effects through the top layer .

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Worth a watch... the finish looks fabulous

Reactions: DB9

DB9

waiting my brush is exactly the same as when I was a teenager, I still have a good steady hand, Im finding the acrylics have moved on in massive steps and seem to cover to a nice level. I think the trial nd error stage with the airbrush will be with me for a while, im loving how well it covers and because its thinner paint the fine panel lines come thru lovely, ive been watching lots of YT videos on air brushing and lacquers seem to be the "in thing" so when the pots come ill have a play.. Ive been recommended Tamiya mixed with Mr Color Leveling thinner 50/50 mix.. quite a few recommend that on the forums. So ill try that too this week on a new build this weekend
It is the fineness of the paint spray that makes all the difference, As I said to you earlier on some YouTube videos the paint looks really thick sometimes but a good, even coat makes the end result look professional