• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster

Time will tell. I haven’t forgotten the Remain hubris in the lead up to the referendum in 2016.
I think last night and afternoon him speaking in the HOC showed actually he ain't that good

arthur

Time will tell. I haven’t forgotten the Remain hubris in the lead up to the referendum in 2016.
Nor have I forgotten the look of horror on Johnson's face when he was paraded in front of the media the morning after the referendum

tavyred

Nor have I forgotten the look of horror on Johnson's face when he was paraded in front of the media the morning after the referendum
Old news that.
Boris going to the country off the back of another Brexit betrayal probably gets him a majority.

DB9

Old news that.
Boris going to the country off the back of another Brexit betrayal probably gets him a majority.
Only if he gets a 2/3 majority in the house and now we have Corbyn back tracking on a GE after 2 years of demanding one

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Only if he gets a 2/3 majority in the house and now we have Corbyn back tracking on a GE after 2 years of demanding one
Only he isn't. He's insisting that that no deal be killed, and then the election.

He'd be insane to go for an election knowing that Johnson could change the date and take the UK out of the EU on No Deal, with no mandate and no parliamentary support.

If he can tie him to an election a week after the 31st October, it'll be all go.

DB9

Only he isn't. He's insisting that that no deal be killed, and then the election.

He'd be insane to go for an election knowing that Johnson could change the date and take the UK out of the EU on No Deal, with no mandate and no parliamentary support.

If he can tie him to an election a week after the 31st October, it'll be all go.
Demanding no deal taken off the table before an election is a new thing on Corbyn's part, Much as I dislike Johnson and his cohorts Corbyn has not covered himself in glory in this whole process

arthur

Old news that.
Hmm - we'll see. I very much doubt he will get a majority. No Deal will solve nothing - we'll be trading on WTO terms, one of only four countries in the world doing this on their own (East Timor, Somalia and South Sudan being the only other countries not in trade blocs with neighbouring countries). We won't be able to even start negotiating a trade deal with the EU until we settle our £39 billion debt. Brexit will drag on for years, even though we are out. Once people get to realise all this, the "clean break" will not seem so simple and attractive as it might do now

IndoMike

Late to the party, but the Elitists Mike meant were presumably the Eton educated Johnson and Rees Mogg and their mates. Personally I don't find the ascribing of views to whole groups of people, whose membership runs into millions (Remainers/Leavers), as particularly helpful. There are some Remainers who view Leavers as thick (though I have yet to hear evidence of leading public Remainers saying this - still waiting for Rae to back up what she said a couple of weeks ago) and there are some Leavers who think Remainers are arrogant and out of touch. But this going into victim mode is just a useful screen to hide behind to avoid facing the real issues. And victim is never a good look....
My definition of "elitist" is one of a priveledged background combined with a state of mind that one is superior to others due to one's birthright or education. Therefore I make no apologies for using it.

IndoMike

Cummings plan coming along quite nicely.
The story will soon switch from Boris defeated in the Commons to the usual suspects kicking the can down the road again by asking for an extension.
The act of purging the Tory rebels thus making the BJ administration untenable will lead inevitably to a GE. A GE where Boris can point at all the rest of the parties and tell a Brexit weary public that I attempted to leave and Corbyn and the rest stopped me. The man is a genius.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

elginCity

Purging the party of one nation MPs, even just those prepared to lose their jobs, narrows the campaign platform considerably. The ERG type has always been in a minority, their brand won’t appeal enough to candidates or Tory mainstream.

Cummings genius.