• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Salford are not an anomaly - they are just an extreme example of the financial doping that's going on all across the lower leagues. For example, almost all of the teams that finshed above us last season - Bury, MK, Tranmere, Forest Green, Mansfield - were running at a loss one or another that would not be sustainable if the owner decided to pull his money out.

It looks like Bury may survive, but my one hope is that the media attention on the terrible way the EFL has handled this might just force a change and some improved governance.
The thing is all the clubs you mention are privately owned businesses, If an owner wants to pump their own money in that's up to them, If they screw up then like any other business they go under, People will lose out they always do. While us fans have a connection with a club those that run them are just business men, They don't really care

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which is what I think Peter Lim's end game is.
With the way big money operates at the top of football it''ll almost be like franchising by other means.
Wasn't there a report last season saying that most premiership sides don't worry about the size of the crowds as they can survive on the sponsorship and TV monies that they receivs

sidney

All this seems to me to confirm the attractions of a Trust-owned model

DB9

Wasn't there a report last season saying that most premiership sides don't worry about the size of the crowds as they can survive on the sponsorship and TV monies that they receivs
Think you're right, Not sure how many but I remember that report

DB9

All this seems to me to confirm the attractions of a Trust-owned model
Majority of other clubs fans would never go for it, It works for us, As fans we've seen the bad side of private ownership but there is a downside, The living hand to mouth and constantly having to produce gems from the academy to balance the books must be very stressful to those involved

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the Bournemouth front they made an £11m loss in the year 30/06/18 an amount that would cripple us and a lot of other clubs not supported by their owners. Obviously not helped by the size of their ground See link below
Unfortunately as spoonz says League one is probably the best we could hope for as a trust run club - even Portsmouth had to succomb to selling to an individual to bolster their hopes

DB9

On the Bournemouth front they made an £11m loss in the year 30/06/18 an amount that would cripple us and a lot of other clubs not supported by their owners. Obviously not helped by the size of their ground See link below
Unfortunately as spoonz says League one is probably the best we could hope for as a trust run club - even Portsmouth had to succomb to selling to an individual to bolster their hopes
Portsmouth had very little choice, After their Trust took over (Think it was a very different model to ours) and having a few years running it, It was becoming unsustainable for them, They asked their fans at the begining of it who could afford it for £1k each which raised loads plus there were a few who put in a lot more, Reason i know this is because a colleague of mine at work gave £1k, Season ticket holder too and knew he'd never see that money again. The Stadium was old and in need of desperate and expensive repairs, I think in total around £5m over five years so when their now owner Eisner took an interest in buying the club they held open forums with the fans, Explained what Eisner was offering and the state of finances, They had £800k in the bank, Sounds healthy but with the cost of repairs of the stadium the Trust bigwigs said that everyone who donated £1k, They would have to ask for £10k! Obviously they couldn't ask that and when Eisner put his bid and his plans for the club the commitee recommended that they accept which they did, So it wasn't just a sell out to bolster there chances of rising in the league it was a realisation that their Trust couldn't afford to keep the club running and do the repairs needed and without a safety certificate the stadium would not be allowed to be used.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember the comment some years ago describing a football crowd as "wallpaper" meaning it looks better on telly to have a crowd than rows of empty seats.

Banksy

I remember the comment some years ago describing a football crowd as "wallpaper" meaning it looks better on telly to have a crowd than rows of empty seats.
I suppose the Premiershiite will eventually create digital crowds for tv purposes like they do for big movies crowd scenes. After all, teams don’t need the gate money what with the money the PL allocate to them plus tv , advertising etc. Fans who needs ‘em eh?

Colesman Ballz

I suppose the Premiershiite will eventually create digital crowds for tv purposes like they do for big movies crowd scenes. After all, teams don’t need the gate money what with the money the PL allocate to them plus tv , advertising etc. Fans who needs ‘em eh?
And there is the irony, the TV money relies on the "spectacle" and "atmosphere" with the fans actually creating that. Two teams playing in an empty stadium would be rubbish TV. Yet the greed of the top clubs is seemingly boundless, you get the impression that they couldn't care less if fans had to get a mortgage to buy a ticket !

Status
Not open for further replies.