• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
and yet he played in the Scottish Premiership

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
"In the hole" what hole? That annoys me as much as saying a center forward is playing "up top"!! The fact of the matter is its not clearly apparent where our goals are coming from. Okay, Bowman has scored two or three, but as much of a grafter as he is, he's certainly not a center forward, or target man. His goal to club ratio before he came to us was poor. He wasn't considered good enough for Torquay FFS!
Is there anything at all in life that doesn't annoy you ?

Pobbop

I am in agreement about lack of chances, plus needing to settle in with new players (and btw it's a ludicrous thing to suggest this is a modern affectation, it has always been), yet you are allowed to be a little disappointed by his general lack of movement and sharpness ATM.

Hopefully it will come.

BTW someone mentioned Cureton, who apparently scored when Norwich beat Chelsea in 1994 (still playing), people forget when he first came to City he did it off a few terrible seasons, and some around here was suggesting that he was just another crock being signed.

Last edited:

IndoMike

I just think it's far too soon to make a judgement.Remember a couple of seasons ago Harry Kane couldn't score a goal for the life of him for several games at the start of the season. Better to support the bloke or we might end up getting egg on our faces later (hopefully).
Still 42 league games to go : his first goal for us might send him on his way.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jamie Cureton.

Now there was a fox in the box who could take the game by the scruff of the neck. You make your own luck!
For those complaining about Nicky Ajose's slow start, Iamie Cureton's first league goal came in his sixth league game for us and he had one in his first 9 league games!

grecIAN Harris

I just think it's far too soon to make a judgement.Remember a couple of seasons ago Harry Kane couldn't score a goal for the life of him for several games at the start of the season. Better to support the bloke or we might end up getting egg on our faces later (hopefully).
Still 42 league games to go : his first goal for us might send him on his way.
This season is the first season Harry Kane has scored in August.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think Ajose is totally to blame currently. Vs Swindon he seemed to be trying to play everywhere, I'm hoping that's just him trying too hard and not tactically the way Taylor has him playing. He's got to be around / in the 18yrd box. not wide left or wide right. in the hole behind Bowman etc. get him where he can get some good service and fire shots off where they have a chance of finding the net. I still think he'll come good, just a case of bedding in..
I haven't seen enough of Nicky Ajose yet to know what type of player he is but he arrived with the reputation that he is a fox-in-the-box striker who scores goals but not much else and, therefore, is a failure if he's not scoring and also is wasted outside of the box. However, I'm not sure Matt Taylor sees him that way and if Nicky Ajose has the skill to pick out accurate crosses like the one in the last minute against Oldham, then I'm happy to see him drifting out wide occasionally.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Martin was unlucky that his was deflected wide, I haven't seen the Jay chance and I'd already mentioned Bowman's but the only part of this where Nicky Ajose, who is the main butt of the criticism, appears is setting up the Bowman chance. The boy can't score if he isn't getting the supply. It's still that simple. 3-5-2 maybe the answer if Taylor is going to put some trust in the youngsters but they still have to supply the chances and then, as discussed elsewhere, you're leaving out two players who should be natural first choice players.
I'm not sure if it was the formation or the personnel but, as I said, we did succeed in creating more chances from wide against Oldham. The problem was that neither of our supposedly most natural goalscorers, Ajose and Seymour, were on the pitch to finish off the chances - or, as in the last minute they were creating a clear-cut chance that another player couldn't put away.

Red Devon

Hopefully he’ll bag today.

exeter-loyal

Hopefully he’ll bag today.
If he does that will shut a few people up!!