• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v Swindon Town AFC Official Match Day Thread. LD2 17/8/19

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
***king hell if you read the Swindon forum there are only two places up for Autos after Saturday - they might as well take the place of Bury.

The match was enjoyable on Saturday and Swindon did dominate the first half, but to me never really looked effective, and in the second half after the first ten minutes I thought you could see them physically tire which is when we came to the fore in the match. When they equalised they were even then slowing the play down hoping to kill time, whereas we still went on trying to look for the winner.

Part of the enjoyment of the match was watching two teams initially trying to go for it without employing game management tactics. If Swindon had scored early on I wonder what would have heppened.

A quick message to Swindon fans you are not Lincoln (last year they annihilated us with us both challenging for the top spot at the time)
Wellens talks a good game and the media love all his talk of playing a high pressing game with lots of quick passing. However, I was surprised how quickly they ran out of ideas and seemed to lack any sort of plan B once a team works out how to play against them. I'm still not sure whether they were really good in the first half and we did well to stay in the game or whether we made them look good by struggling to control the ball and to control possession.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wellens talks a good game and the media love all his talk of playing a high pressing game with lots of quick passing. However, I was surprised how quickly they ran out of ideas and seemed to lack any sort of plan B once a team works out how to play against them. I'm still not sure whether they were really good in the first half and we did well to stay in the game or whether we made them look good by struggling to control the ball and to control possession.
They've got two decent goalscorers now. That helps.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah the media do seem to like Swindon, hearing of their flowing counter attacking moves on Saturday I was disappointed in them, like us they did seem to lose the ball easily and again similar to us lots of misplaced passes. Sam Parkin on Quest seems to love them though which isn't surprising being an ex Swindon fans favourite and commentating on them for Radio Wiltshire. Perhaps Quest could line up Steve Tully for his impartial views next time ;)

With regards to their strikers aren't they both on loan?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I meant to add that Swindon have clearly recruited well but presumably those players haven't come cheap and, as Mansfield have discovered in recent seasons it's not always easy to fulfil the expectations that come with splashing the cash.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 version of Saturday's game

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I meant to add that Swindon have clearly recruited well but presumably those players haven't come cheap and, as Mansfield have discovered in recent seasons it's not always easy to fulfil the expectations that come with splashing the cash.
At least with splashing the cash Swindon have the potential to bring in large crowds comparable to the Scum and Bradford and therefore recoup some of their expenditure unlike Mansfield (I hate Mansfield and what they currently stand for)

Stelios

The 360 version of Saturday's game

Never enjoy shooting towards the BB in the 1st half (n)

Did Jake have a sly elbow at the player he fouled at 5.59? No contact fortunately.

Also, that shot he has at 5.15. He seems to get that eaxact chance most games but he always seems too delicate. There's nearly always a crowd of bodies infront and he seems to drag his shot as he tries to place it carefully and ends up getting blocked. I guess it's better than the alternative of putting his laces through it and watching it sail into the Big Bank. I'm all for players shooting but just a bit frustrating.

Nice instinctive finish from Jay. I thought he only scored worldies?

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just saw the iFollow highlights: Boy were Wards blushes spared when he crashed that clearance against an opponent where it came back past him into the net! The referee quite rightly awarded a freekick to City in that buildup, but I doubt if Mr Ward knew that! I still rate him highly, but no more shanks like that I hope.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
At least with splashing the cash Swindon have the potential to bring in large crowds comparable to the Scum and Bradford and therefore recoup some of their expenditure unlike Mansfield (I hate Mansfield and what they currently stand for)
Potentially maybe, but what happens if Wellens isn't as successful as expected and the crowds start to drift away. Lee Power claims to have put over six million into the club although it's hard to work out where the money has been spent - the ground is still fairly dilapidated and, until this season at least, the squad was fairly mediocre. What happens if he gets bored and decides he wants his money back. Are the club really sustainable without his investment?

ryancooper327

Never enjoy shooting towards the BB in the 1st half (n)

Did Jake have a sly elbow at the player he fouled at 5.59? No contact fortunately.

Also, that shot he has at 5.15. He seems to get that eaxact chance most games but he always seems too delicate. There's nearly always a crowd of bodies infront and he seems to drag his shot as he tries to place it carefully and ends up getting blocked. I guess it's better than the alternative of putting his laces through it and watching it sail into the Big Bank. I'm all for players shooting but just a bit frustrating.

Nice instinctive finish from Jay. I thought he only scored worldies?
I saw that near-elbow too. Lucky no contact.