• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
As long as our opening 4 or 5 batsmen bat so badly, difficult to see us winning any tests. But there is no doubt that Archer has changed the dynamic. Having said that, think he took just 5 wickets in the match, so the psychological damage to the Aussies is probably greater than the wickets taken
Yes, Archer has now felled a couple of Strines and played some good chin music to others. They ain’t going to look forward to facing him. Just hope Root does not over bowl him.

Impressed by Jack Leach today. Headingley might not be his scene mind but Old aTrafford is often good for the spinner.

Roy dropped an easy catch at second slip and had a wretched match.

Root needs to come to the party.

I heard some commentary on the wireless that Sunday was a sell out. Did not look that way on the TV highlights.

IndoMike

The risk that Smith took returning to bat after his injury

Alistair20000

The risk that Smith took returning to bat after his injury
Having just caught up on the Saturday highlights I have seen the hit to the neck that Steve Smith took and found this to be truly sickening, especially after what happened to poor Phil Hughes. The neck/stem guard must surely become compulsory and Smith returning to bat after that blow just looks wrong. Given that he was unfit to bat yesterday it is hard to see how it was right to return to the crease on Saturday. New protocols urgently required I think.

IndoMike

Yes, Archer has now felled a couple of Strines and played some good chin music to others. They ain’t going to look forward to facing him. Just hope Root does not over bowl him.

Impressed by Jack Leach today. Headingley might not be his scene mind but Old aTrafford is often good for the spinner.

Roy dropped an easy catch at second slip and had a wretched match.

Root needs to come to the party.

I heard some commentary on the wireless that Sunday was a sell out. Did not look that way on the TV highlights.
Yes, they said it was a sell out. Perhaps the weather or state of play dissuaded people from showing up. Or maybe the fans were too busy in the bars and food outlets (they say the quality of food and diversity is impressive).
Think we have to stick with Roy and hope he comes good : we can't keep changing. Root is a big disappointment. And Denley. And Buttler

Alistair20000

Yes, they said it was a sell out. Perhaps the weather or state of play dissuaded people from showing up. Or maybe the fans were too busy in the bars and food outlets (they say the quality of food and diversity is impressive).
Think we have to stick with Roy and hope he comes good : we can't keep changing. Root is a big disappointment. And Denley. And Buttler
If we stick with Roy he needs to move down the order but goodness only knows who opens and if a new opener is drafted in should Roy, Buttler or Denly be dropped ? Buggered if I know TBH

IndoMike

If we stick with Roy he needs to move down the order but goodness only knows who opens and if a new opener is drafted in should Roy, Buttler or Denly be dropped ? Buggered if I know TBH
We need an opener who can defend and see off the shine. Doesn't have to be brilliant : just very solid. Roy can come in at no.3 and Root at no. 4. Not perfect, but a little improvement.
So:
Burns
New Bloke
Roy
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Leach
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Anderson (if genuinely fit : if not fit we keep Buttler.
I know this team is bowler-heavy but it would keep all the bowlers fresh and most of them can get some runs. The reality is that if Denley's only going to average 20-30 runs per innings we might as well have the extra bowler. I'd bet on Broad or Woakes getting more runs than Denley.

IndoMike

They showed it slow mo Al. The ball was clearly on it's way back up as Root gathered it. Whoever it is dealing with the reviews needs to go to specsavers. Awful decision.
I am very inclined to agree with you. Root caught it on the bounce. It was not out.

Rosencrantz

I am very inclined to agree with you. Root caught it on the bounce. It was not out.
From the front on angle it looks like it bounces in front, from side on though it looks like it bounces up off his fingers. As the soft signal from umps on the field is out, it's out.

Been a while since opposing batsman are just looking to survive against one of our bowlers through pace. It will be interesting to see if the Aussies can turn their psychology around against Joffra.

geoffwp

Roy needs to be told "don't think of this as a 5 day test match. Pretend it's a 50 over game and just play it as a ODI. I'd rather see him knock very quick 50's than try to play the careful waiting game.

IndoMike

Roy needs to be told "don't think of this as a 5 day test match. Pretend it's a 50 over game and just play it as a ODI. I'd rather see him knock very quick 50's than try to play the careful waiting game.
Unchanged 12-man squad for 3rd test. Selectors still trusting in Denley.