• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Same with my old company too Olds.

Even the mandatory Public Liability Insurance (demanded to almost stratospheric levels of cover by most of our contracts) was very, very rarely claimed upon. For most of the (many) small claims received by firms such as ours in the Highways industry even those that were judged incontestable (a surprisingly small number actually, as we had a legal department with a very keen nose for - and robust attitude against - the many "try-ons") were generally paid "out of revenue". An approach which, actually, was a jolly good incentive for all of us on the ground to take proper care as any payouts reflected directly on the performance of our own operations rather than being just lost in the archives of some distant insurer.
PS: Also, as you have hinted, the No Claims Discount of such a policy upon premiums was probably humongous!!

Colesman Ballz

Do councils insure? I know in the civil service we didn't, as it didn't make financial sense.
Exeter City Council certainly had cover for the Riverside Sports Complex, where the pool is still currently closed following the fire, but the pay-out wasn't enough to fully cover of repairs and additional remedials found necessary.

Alistair20000

In case anybody is interested it does seem that the Royal Clarence traded (at a loss) as a separate company but as a subsidiary of a holding company.

The accounts to 1 January 2017 tell us that the insurers paid out £22.315 million for the capital loss with loss of profits compensation on top.

Company House filings herewith.

Grecian2K

Perhaps rather ironically the nearby House of Fraser building is reportedly now to close earlier than originally planned in order to be remodelled as......wait for it....
A HOTEL!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Lockers at Bus & Railway stations.
Would have been ideal today. Instead I have to haul my luggage up to SJP.

Grecian2K

Cooling towers at Didcot.

Oldsmobile-88

Cooling towers at Didcot.
The iconic landmark ones on the A1(M) at Ferrybridge will be gone soon(one was demolished last week)
I always used those as a time landmark whilst travelling to the North East..Quite a sight when they were all vapouring away on a cold day with huge coal stocks beside them..

Stelios

Talking of Buildings Insurance, I am intrigued with Exeter City Council's position on the Clifton Sports Centre. I have never seen any reference to insurance cover mentioned. When the roof collapsed under the weight of snow, surely if cover existed it was a simple claim job to have it repaired ? Was it adequately insured ? If so did the Council just seize on the opportunity to sell off the larger area of the site, and also"pocket" the insurance money, presumably to help fund the escalating costs of their mahoosive vanity project that is St Sidwell's Point ?
Does seem that way. Couldn't wait to sell off a sports centre complex and surrounding open recreational space for housing to pay for the "What's the Point". This is the same council that proudly boasts about being an 'active city'.

Call me a cynic but I wouldn't be surprised if the Council are twiddling their thumbs re: the Plaza/Riverside until the Bus Station gets built and suddenly they'll say "we can't afford to keep the Riverside open as well".

Grecian2K

Do you know if the towers at nearby Eggborough and Dead still in existence Olds?
(not been up that way for a few years)
The area was a prime spot for seeing the old heavy-haul diesel locos on the power station MGR trains back in the good old BR days!

Oldsmobile-88

Do you know if the towers at nearby Eggborough and Dead still in existence Olds?
(not been up that way for a few years)
The area was a prime spot for seeing the old heavy-haul diesel locos on the power station MGR trains back in the good old BR days!
Not sure if those impressive structures are still there,I also have not been that way for a few years.
One that I know that has gone is the one beside the M1 near to Sheffield.The M1 bent around that one.

Love our old 1950s industrial heritage when coal was king.

Make Coal your Goal was on the advertising hoardings at all grounds in the 1970s.

How times change !!