• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v Swindon Town AFC Official Match Day Thread. LD2 17/8/19

Stelios

When I watch the highlights later will I see Sweeney doing bugger all to stop the cross? I apologise if the goal was nothing to do with him it's just the Coventry highlights brought back a few flashbacks of last season.

Goal. Swindon have equalised. A ball comes in from the left and Eion Doyle find the bottom corner [1-1]

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
About one in three scoring rate , we’ll have to watch him.Let’s hope Ajose gets going today too.Any team news anyone?
Not watched well enough. :cry: And sadly Ajose didn't get going.

dontpassback

Good game,against a good side who will be up there come the end of season,better performance than the Macc game,but ajose still isn’t bringing anything to the team albeit it’s early days,bowman gives 100% every game,and Arron Martin played well as did jay and lee Martin when they came on.a draw was a fair result but it would have been nice if we had held on for the win.onwards and upwards and at least we are above the green slime !

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was a very entertaining and absorbing game of football. A draw was probably a fair result but it will be a result that could well be telling come the end of the season if both sides can maintain that sort of standard. We seemed to start the match playing with wing backs but Woody, bless him, is too old and not quick enough to play that role and soon morphed into an unbalanced 4-4-2. Playing with the three in the middle certainly seemed to be far better for Collins, Taylor and, most importantly, Nicky Law but Woody was left a little undressed as far as cover in front of him was concerned.
People still disappointed by Ajose need to look for the route cause of the problem. Ajose is a 'fox in the box' type of striker and when have we actually got some sort of service in to him that he can thrive on. Williams and whoever happens to be out wide on the left need to get ball in quicker for him so he can steal a march on his marker but it's step over here and a cut back there and suddenly Ajose has filled the space he wants to run into. To some extent the same could be said for the service to Bowman. Both would thrive off the ball coming in quicker so they can attack it whilst they're moving forward rather than having to continually check their runs.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Match report

Exehausted

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the performance of Lewis Ward. I think he looks very assured and he had another very good game today. He certainly had a lot more to do than their keeper. I think he gives us a lot more than Chrysty, because of his height.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A proper game hard fought and no play acting. First half Swindon on top, defence well organised which reduced City’s attacking threat to a minimum, very quick and always dangerous on the break.

Second half City better team particularly after the substitutions one enforced Matt Jay for Jake Taylor and other tactical Lee Martin for Nicky Ajose. Gradually built up the pressure and Matt Jay’s goal 20 minutes from time was no more than they deserved.

Swindon were still dangerous on the break but City’s game management was excellent. As the minutes ticked away it was noticeable that Swindon seemed to be losing their way and that we were either going to score a second or run out as 1-0 winners.

Unfortunately in the last few minutes we also became a little too casual and paid the price with Swindon scoring an equaliser two minutes from the end.

We were top of the league for 18 minutes and overall a draw was a fair result but after being almost home and dry it was gutting to concede such a late goal.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last season we got blown away by Lincoln and Mansfield in similar matches so I think it's a real sign of progress that we hung on in the first half and ended up disappointed not to win.

exeter-loyal

Shame we couldn't hold on but 1-1 was a fair result. 2 good teams out there today when playing there football. Interesting that MT mentioned he had spoken to the ref after the game and he said to him that there was 2 really good outfits out there today considering that's a ref who referees at the level everyweek which I agree there was. Swindon will be up there this year and I think we will be too. If we can get Ajose in the game a bit more his goals I think will defiantly come. Final ball lacked us a bit today but bringing L.Martin and Jay on made a huge difference and we looked a threat when we went forward with those options. A.Martin had a good game at the back. Full backs weren't good enough today just wish he would have started Sparkes at LB as there winger done Woodman every time he went forward. Roll on Tuesday lets hope we keep the unbeaten run going.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Swindon will be in the running at the business end of the season. A point gained more than 2 points lost.