• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Couldn't get involved today. He looked like a timid schoolboy playing mens football who didn't really want to be there!

I'm sure he's a talent but on today's performance I don't know what all the fuss is about.
Give the bloke a chance, Snoopy. He missed some of the pre-season and it was his first real game. But maybe SEA Grecian has a point in the above post

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Give the bloke a chance, Snoopy. He missed some of the pre-season and it was his first real game. But maybe SEA Grecian has a point in the above post
Narrow margins as always in sport. If Nicky had scored his half-chance in the first half we'd all be hailing him as a hero and ignoring the fact he barely touched the ball for the rest of the game. However, given the fate of the last 3 strikers to score opening day debut goals; Hoskins, Abrahams and Forte; perhaps it was better he didn't score.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
This was what I feared but in reality it's way too early to say yet. Give him 6 months and then we can form a more realistic judgement.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think once bedded in he will be an asset, (look at Bowman), but how long that will take who knows hopefully not long, at the moment ?????

grecIAN Harris

He's a fox in the box type striker who isn't going to do a great deal outside of it. Taylor needs to get two proper wide men playing and get some service into Ajose and Bowman. That means playing Lee Martin and Randall Williams, getting Law inside and dropping one of Collins or Taylor. Or if he must insist on playing all three then Taylor should be the one going wide not Law. When those three are in the same side together it looks more balanced that way.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's a fox in the box type striker who isn't going to do a great deal outside of it. Taylor needs to get two proper wide men playing and get some service into Ajose and Bowman. That means playing Lee Martin and Randall Williams, getting Law inside and dropping one of Collins or Taylor.
Agree.

Our front men would also benefit from two full backs who could get out of second gear which would help create space for the likes of Williams, Martin, Law etc in the wide areas.

Stelios

His career has stalled in recent years so asking a lot for him to produce on Day 1. There is obviously a talent there but it's not going to show itself again immediately. I'm in it for the long haul and not expecting miracles straight away. We need the team to start playing well and create chances first before we judge him.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
His career has stalled in recent years so asking a lot for him to produce on Day 1. There is obviously a talent there but it's not going to show itself again immediately. I'm in it for the long haul and not expecting miracles straight away. We need the team to start playing well and create chances first before we judge him.
The problem for Ajose is how the rest of the team play, whenever we play 4 - 4 - 2 we generally seem weak in midfield which means we bulk midfield up a bit by putting an attacking midfielder in place of a striker, as things stand Bowman is one of the first names on the team sheet (and rightly so) which means when we look short in midfield Ajose is going to be sacrificed. As a result I think it's going to be very hard for him to find any rhythm. Unless Taylor solves the issues when we play 4 - 4 - 2 it is going to be tough for Ajose.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's a fox in the box type striker who isn't going to do a great deal outside of it. Taylor needs to get two proper wide men playing and get some service into Ajose and Bowman. That means playing Lee Martin and Randall Williams, getting Law inside and dropping one of Collins or Taylor. Or if he must insist on playing all three then Taylor should be the one going wide not Law. When those three are in the same side together it looks more balanced that way.
I agree that Taylor should be used out wide stick Law alongside Collins and that would be a decent, well balanced midfield.

PeteUSA

It seems to me that like last season we dont have a target man. Based on what we have, it seems that all our goals are expected to come from anybody who gets the chance of a shot? A shoot on site mentality. Surely theres a half decent journeyman type big-outhouse player knocking about? Whats that Rhead character doing, or Akinfenwa?