• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I had to laugh at the Buffoon's latest bit of bullpoo - this time aimed at the Manx Kipper-Smoking selectorate.

For Johnson's information (as even Andrew Neil was forced to point out on PL just now:
1) The Isle of Man is NOT in the EU
2) The requirement for said piscine comestibles to be packed in ice was a UK - NOT EU - requirement.
And so see the sycophantic Archie Norman try to shrug it of as "just a normal BJ jape" was excruciating in the extreme.

Still the Johnson has never been one to use a bit of dissemination and fake-facts to make his arguments. Guess we can file this bit of false anti-EU nonsense with the straight bananas, euro-coffins, euro-condoms and other bits of "jolly invention" that he has concocted over the years.
Trouble is, a lie is already halfway round the world before the truth can even get its shoes on!

IndoMike

Is that a 52% small majority Indo ;)

As regards all the rest of what you say, Brexit will not stop us trading with EU countries, visiting them and sharing other facilities once the real elitists such as politicians and strutting bureaucrats stop playing silly buggers and get out of the way.

There is a vision of Brexit that looks out to trading with the whole world, an optimistic vision that seeks to break out of this awful “can’t do” mentality that prevails in the U.K. at present.
Ali : you know the majority was 4%, not 48%.
Regarding your 2nd paragraph. I can only hope you're right. It's ironic (hypocritical?) that we don't want a border between Northern and Southern Ireland but we want a border between the UK and the the EU. Maybe we should have borders between cities, too ; we could certainly start with one between Exeter and Plymurf.
The "can't do" mentality is partly being proven on a daily basis within the hallowed walls of Westminster. I believe we can do, but we can't control exterior tariffs, trade barriers, political situations, Trump, et al. And we will not be in a strong bargaining position. "Here comes the UK with the begging bowl".

IndoMike

I had to laugh at the Buffoon's latest bit of bullpoo - this time aimed at the Manx Kipper-Smoking selectorate.

For Johnson's information (as even Andrew Neil was forced to point out on PL just now:
1) The Isle of Man is NOT in the EU
2) The requirement for said piscine comestibles to be packed in ice was a UK - NOT EU - requirement.
And so see the sycophantic Archie Norman try to shrug it of as "just a normal BJ jape" was excruciating in the extreme.

Still the Johnson has never been one to use a bit of dissemination and fake-facts to make his arguments. Guess we can file this bit of false anti-EU nonsense with the straight bananas, euro-coffins, euro-condoms and other bits of "jolly invention" that he has concocted over the years.
Trouble is, a lie is already halfway round the world before the truth can even get its shoes on!
He has no shame, G2K. I wouldn't buy a car off him.
And yes, every time he shows how stupid he is some goon covers him by saying "Oh, he was just joking".
God help us. The British will see him off soon, I'm sure. When he gets into power the bluff and bluster, the con, will be over.
Shame on those who have supported him. How low have we sunk?!

Grecian2K

When he gets into power the bluff and bluster, the con, will be over.
And, hopefully, so will his CONservative party!

Mr Jinx

I see that the "Dominic Grieve" amendment, designed to make prorogation more problematic, has been voted through 315 to 274. By my rough calculation, that works out at 53% to 47% (which is marginally more than a "52% majority)
And so the HOC's thwarting of Brexit continues apace. There's gonna be fireworks in October!

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
And so the HOC's thwarting of Brexit continues apace. There's gonna be fireworks in October!
Do you not think that if they believe no deal would be a disaster for the UK, it is incumbent upon them to prevent it?

Grecian2K

There's gonna be fireworks in October!
There usually is, around that time of year!

Bittners a Legend

As regards all the rest of what you say, Brexit will not stop us trading with EU countries, visiting them and sharing other facilities once the real elitists such as politicians and strutting bureaucrats stop playing silly buggers and get out of the way.

There is a vision of Brexit that looks out to trading with the whole world, an optimistic vision that seeks to break out of this awful “can’t do” mentality that prevails in the U.K. at present.
It is a total falsity to suggest that the Remainer attitude is "can't do". For obvious cultural, geographical and political reasons it makes sense that our trading relationship with the EU is close. It does not stop us trading with the whole world. Many of the reason trade deals negotiated by the EU illustrates this.

Your argument is based on the belief that Britain on its own, has more negotiating and purchasing power, than as part of a much larger trading bloc. You could certainly argue that until we try it, we won't know that it isn't true, but there is little evidence to suggest that it is true.

Mike is spot on regarding the way we are viewed globally. It is the height of naivety to believe that we will not cause immense political damage to ourselves if we No Deal.

Can't help but laugh at the bottom two promises made by the Vote Leave campaign.

Grecian2K

Don't forget the (sham) reassurance in the final bullet point on this one either. Sure don't sound like "No Deal" to me!

Surely not YET ANOTHER example of :poop: from the Liars of Leave?

Temporarily Exiled

Don't forget the (sham) reassurance in the final bullet point on this one either. Sure don't sound like "No Deal" to me!
View attachment 1021

Surely not YET ANOTHER example of :poop: from the Liars of Leave?
The gaslighting operation truly is something to behold. We're told that people voted for no deal, we're told that there's an overwhelming majority, we're told that Norway was given no consideration in the campaign, we're told there's a mandate to leave at any costs, we're told that whatever the leave campaigns didn't engage in any illegal behaviour – but that if they did it didn't have had any effect (so why do it?), we're told that leave won 'wothout a shot being fired.

It's a collective revisionism on a mass scale, meant to make people question their own memories and perception of reality. It's the exact same thing Trump engages in, and it seems to work a treat both here and there.