• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfers in/outs 2019/20 and Retained list

dontpassback

I'd imagine a League Two side will give him a one-year contract at least. Good centre halves are hard to come by at this level, he could be player of the season for any side at our level.
If he can avoid anymore injuries then there aren’t many better centre half’s than Troy,he has been a very good player for us and it is a shame the injuries seem to have taken their toll,I hope he finds a club and if he can stay fit he will be an asset for any club.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: Transfers in/out 2019/20 and Retained list

There's never been any rules about what goes on these threads! Just so long as the first post is kept up to date!
Can the OP have the reference to Troy Brown being offered a contract deleted? ( it was never true - MT said that the club hadn’t offered him anything yet on announcing the retained list and that never changed)

andrew p long

Just need a keeper for a third team of professionals. There were two different teams played at Truro and to add to them we have

Key Cundy Woodman Smerdon
Holmes Dodd Atangana
Seymour Ajose Forte

IndoMike

Agreed, but you do have to spread the risk and generate maximum value from the money. By spending £200k on a transfer fee and then £4k / week for three years, the total cost is over £800k. Alternatively we could spend the same money of two free transfers but give them £2,600 per week (£135,000 per year). The former is clearly a greater risk in case of injury, loss of form, inability to settle, whatever. That's an overly simplistic example, but the point remains.

The other point about marquee signings is that it can create squad divisions. When your "lesser" players (the first year pro's etc) are on a few hundred quid a week and they are essentially doing the same job as matey boy on £4k, £5k, £6k / week, then that is unlikely go down well. You also cannot use financial restraints to turn down requests for pay rises in new contracts etc. The knock on effect of paying one player significantly more than others could be damaging.

Yes, a new "mega bucks" (by our standards) signing would great, but it has ramifications, and arguably is not the best use of budgets.
I think in the end by signing Ajose City found a compromise between what I wanted and what you thought was overspend : i.e a bit of a risk but not a great risk. I'm happy enough with
the signing of Ajose - lets hope he can get the goals.

benjisheps

I would not be surprised if the club announce soon that Forte has left.

He was not in Jersey with the team (all other injured players were there) and has not been at any of the games.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

He was not in Jersey with the team (all other injured players were there) and has not been at any of the games.
Yeah I’m thinking the same. Probably best for all parties.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
With regards to Loan deals we've seen Hartridge go to Bath and in his recent interview Matt has said they are sending Smerdon out on Loan, could these be the couple of departures he was talking about or are we all still thinking Tillson and Martin to go as well.

Still need a right back and I am hopeful that we beat Blackpool for Grimmer, despite our lesser standing in the football world!

andrew p long

With regards to Loan deals we've seen Hartridge go to Bath and in his recent interview Matt has said they are sending Smerdon out on Loan, could these be the couple of departures he was talking about or are we all still thinking Tillson and Martin to go as well.

Still need a right back and I am hopeful that we beat Blackpool for Grimmer, despite our lesser standing in the football world!
MT described his left side defenders as Parkes, Moxey, Woodman and Sparkes. Which means, I think, that he has three right sided central defenders in Warren Cundy and Martin. We only need two so....it still wouldn’t surprise me to see Martin leave. And I think MT has been pretty clear that Tillson is not in his first choice eleven. So deals on those two still possible if terms are right for everyone.
(And arrival of a right back such as Grimmer or Kane Wilson would free up Sweeney to be right side centre defence cover)

Red Monster

Yes but Forte is under contract for the rest of the season ,if he
Wants to he could see out the rest of his contract.

Maybe we could pay up his contract for 3-6 months,that would
Save us some cash.

Last edited:

LDNGrecian

MT described his left side defenders as Parkes, Moxey, Woodman and Sparkes. Which means, I think, that he has three right sided central defenders in Warren Cundy and Martin. We only need two so....it still wouldn’t surprise me to see Martin leave. And I think MT has been pretty clear that Tillson is not in his first choice eleven. So deals on those two still possible if terms are right for everyone.
(And arrival of a right back such as Grimmer or Kane Wilson would free up Sweeney to be right side centre defence cover)
Martin is 100% leaving the club this summer, most likely a loan. Taylor doesn't see eye to eye with him and wants him gone!