• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

D DAY 75th ANNIVERSARY

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
This will be the last big event to commemorate one of the most momentous days in European history in which we have surviving participants in attendance. Watching those wonderful people and hearing their stories told in such understated ways makes me realise how blessed we are to have men and women like this amongst us. To all of them, living and dead, I say thank you.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good thread and great post (y)

As well as thanking the few still with us we must thank all those no longer here including those who lost their lives in battle so we could be free.

The Queen said it all so simply, effectively and with such dignity in Portsmouth today.

DB9

A very emotional day for the veterans, Those still with us and making that return journey to Normandy, What ever is going through their minds must be one of great sadness and pride, Sadness for their fallen comrades and friends, Pride they were doing their bit to liberate Europe from the Nazis. As the real Dick Winters, Inspiration for the TV series Band of Brothers said "My grandson once asked, Grandpa, We're you a hero during the war? I said no son But I served with a bunch of them" I can't thank them enough, What they went through as really young men is beyond most of us. To those that fell, RIP

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Have had the pleasure and privilege to talk with a few of these older boys over the years at various dinners and parades and have nothing but full respect for every single person who was involved in not only Overlord but all the other battles which took place during WW2.

I am reminded of a story I was told from the person involved who was ex Devon's who was dug in at Monte Cassino with his mates and the shelling and rifle fire had been a bit quiet for a couple of hours and thought the battle had ended and decided to raise his hand above his pit only to be shot right through the palm of his hand, When I asked him what happened next he explained there were no medics nearby and he would have had to leave the line to get medical attention so instead he snapped a bit of pencil put it through the hole wrapped a field dressing around it and stayed with his mates until he could get it seen to properly.
R.I.P. Eddie you were a good man and a true inspiration to anyone who met you.

DB9

Just bumping this up again. Just listen to this veteran Harry Billinge, If this doesn't give you a lump in your throat then i don't know. What a man and thank you so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsffJD6-xe8

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Good men and women who stood tall when needed !

Remember the Fallen , Don't forget the Living.

Alistair20000

Just bumping this up again. Just listen to this veteran Harry Billinge, If this doesn't give you a lump in your throat then i don't know. What a man and thank you so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsffJD6-xe8
Thanks for posting that. (y) As you say very moving. What a remarkable man. We owe him and his like so much.

Spoonz Red E

Thanks for that DB9.

2 years in hospital to cope with the memories, a brother in law shot down and disfigured, a friend dying in his arms.
The price that still had to be paid by those who survived was immense.

Respect.

elginCity

...Just listen to this veteran Harry Billinge...
Having witnessed combat where fear induces grown men to curl up and adopt the foetal position, or freeze and **** themselves, Harry and his fellow 'marvellous men' knowingly running straight into a hail of mortar and machine gunfire is pure raw courage. All in a noble cause fighting the Nazis. By any definition Harry Billinge is a 'hero', despite what he says ! :D

DB9

Having witnessed combat where fear induces grown men to curl up and adopt the foetal position, or freeze and **** themselves, Harry and his fellow 'marvellous men' knowingly running straight into a hail of mortar and machine gunfire is pure raw courage. All in a noble cause fighting the Nazis. By any definition Harry Billinge is a 'hero', despite what he says ! :D
Heros they are to us but to them it was a job that needed to be done, I don't think any of those veterans saw themselves as heros