• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

That Gap - What to do?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd love to see the stand extended by at least one block or more ideally (yes I know the engineering/political issues with NR) one day in the future when budgets allow and cover the cabling work needed in that costing.

On the other hand, I note that Exeter Chiefs moved the cameras from showing the huge all seater west stand to the opposite side which now shows the terrace tin shed of the east stand. I'm not sure why they did that, but it almost seems to counter the reasoning presented on this thread.

Temporarily Exiled

If we moved the camera over to the other side, would we also need to go about replacing the (now quite badly faded) red seats in the main stand? Genuine question, because if we're keeping up appearances then that should be a priority.

Otherwise, another solution might be encouraging more people to take up season tickets in the new stand. It looks a lot better when full.

CraigECFC

As someone who watches most games on iFollow from the states I do kind of agree with Pete. it doesn’t look great when I’m showing others what I’m watching and a half stand which is half empty is on show. BUT I’m sure the only times we will be on TV on show to the world the stand will be full and they will have cameras all around the stadium so it won’t really matter. As many others have said more of a want than a need.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
As many others have said more of a want than a need.
Agreed. A nice to do if funds permit - although I guarantee they will never permit!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
With no keepers (still!) on our books, and with the new season rapidly approaching, I'm more worried about the current huge gap between our goalposts than the small gap at one end of the NOG. :(

Still no doubt our colonial real-estate and glovesmanship "expert" will continue to bang on about BOTH contradictory financial priorities for the foreseeable future.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do nothing - this is not a priority - as someone else alluded to earlier if I go to a game or watch one on TV I tend to watch the match rather than the surroundings and landscape.

Dannyred

There's two things I really dislike about the new stand. The first is the length and I do agree it makes us look a little tinpot and it's highly frustrating that it wasn't longer. The second is the seats with restricted views. Andy Holloway kept telling us that it was a FL requirement to ensure that there were no restricted view seats, yet we've ended up with a couple of hundred.

Do I think we should commission a feasibility study to explore moving the camera? Absolutely not. What would be the point? It wouldn't solve either of the frustrations I list above.
I believe it was possible to have that stand put further a long towards the corner beside the BB but the club wouldn’t pay the extra which is a shame as it would of looked a lot better.

FBH time you grew up with name calling posters.

Boyo

At the time of the consultation it was said that the stand has been designed so it could be extended in the future. Whether that's true I have no idea. On the current footprint of land, the next block to be added would be tapered. You are then in a world of diminishing returns (# of seats per £ spent).

If the stand had been built a couple of meters closer to the pitch (which was the reason the pitch was moved towards the Cowshed a few seasons ago), there would be more space to work with.

These are all old arguments and there's not much point regurgitating them now.

Red Bill

I have to say that when I saw this thread my first thought was, not again!!! However I have always wished something could be done with "the gap", even though i don't think it looks as bad as I thought it would now the refreshment and toilet blocks have been installed, something I don't think would be so obvious on screen.

Having had a look around the excellent NOG, when they opened it up after the match shortly after it was opened, what I was struck by was how brilliant SJP now looks from there, particularly from the end of the NOG nearest the away end. However the view from the current camera position in the cowshed is probably the worst view of the stadium there is and gives an impression of the stadium that I don't think you'd get from anywhere else in the ground. So I do have some sympathy with Pete's opinion. There is also the fact that some views of the ground will have the sun shining right into the camera lens at those times of the year when the sun sets in that corner.

Maybe its all the years I spent as a pro photographer working with advertising and marketing people that makes me sensitive to and aware of the value of good presentation, but I do think there are real advantages of showing your best side. So although this certainly isn't vital, I do think it could be worth a very basic feasibility study.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have to say that when I saw this thread my first thought was, not again!!! However I have always wished something could be done with "the gap", even though i don't think it looks as bad as I thought it would now the refreshment and toilet blocks have been installed, something I don't think would be so obvious on screen.

Having had a look around the excellent NOG, when they opened it up after the match shortly after it was opened, what I was struck by was how brilliant SJP now looks from there, particularly from the end of the NOG nearest the away end. However the view from the current camera position in the cowshed is probably the worst view of the stadium there is and gives an impression of the stadium that I don't think you'd get from anywhere else in the ground. So I do have some sympathy with Pete's opinion. There is also the fact that some views of the ground will have the sun shining right into the camera lens at those times of the year when the sun sets in that corner.

Maybe its all the years I spent as a pro photographer working with advertising and marketing people that makes me sensitive to and aware of the value of good presentation, but I do think there are real advantages of showing your best side. So although this certainly isn't vital, I do think it could be worth a very basic feasibility study.
Thanks for that Bill, particularly the last paragraph. All I really ask for is a basic feasibility study.

There's no disputing how well designed the interior of the NOG is, and how all of the available space has been used to the max. to include ample refreshment bars of various kinds. All of those features dont transmit to the exterior though, so it looks a basic stand with far too many seats not usable due to a design oversight. I mean who wants to sit anywhere near the back of the various passageway outlets when you have to look through railings to watch the match? There will always be blatent gaps to be seen in those areas. I'm quite surprised there wasnt some sort of study done to make sure that stand was built as originally proposed - I mean, didnt somebody notice the basic concrete pad that was poured was like 7-8 feet further back than needed?

Back to my original point though: Does anyone have any idea of cost in switching the cameras to the other side? I dont see why it would be mega expensive while we still have a spare quid or two.