• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Greatest ever XI

LeedsGrecian

What on earth is this comment supposed to mean?!

Not a single player gave more effort for the team than Stockley while he was here. Did you ever even watch him play?
Fairly self explanatory do you not think?

And yes, I was there for his first goal away at Morecambe on the Tuesday night after the Liverpool Home FA Cup tie, and I was there for his last goals, the hat trick at Oldham, and a lot of games Stockley played in in between too.

Matter of opinion.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
As much of a lazy s**t Stockley was at times, we clearly missed his goals since Jan. The optimist in me hopes that Bowman grabs as many, but can he score 50 in 100? I'm not so sure, but I hope he proves me wrong...
Never heard anyone say Stockley was lazy. Thought he was a genuine battler.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
What on earth is this comment supposed to mean?!

Not a single player gave more effort for the team than Stockley while he was here. Did you ever even watch him play?
Recent seasons but ever mmmm Alan Banks, Fred Binney, and Tony Kellow not forgetting in the short period he was with us Ronnie Jepson.

LeedsGrecian

Never heard anyone say Stockley was lazy. Thought he was a genuine battler.
I'd say Bowman is a battler.

Pobbop

Went to my first match in 1976, but can only really start remebering them from about '80.

So, and knowing that Banks and Bastin are probably shoo-ins if you count history, but I'll go for what I know.

Miller
Hiley
Matt Taylor
Shaun Taylor
Hatch
Harley ( first spell obvs, though there were moments in the second spell, but even I was frustrated most of the time, and I am probably his greatest fan)
Whitehead
McDermott
Wheeler
Kellow
Rowbotham (pre acl, when he was brilliant, afterwards decent but would have Neville Or Stockley amongst others ahead of him).

Subs
Neville
Batty
R. Edwards
C Pym
Stockley
Marker

Batty because I loved him, but O'Connel would probably be better.

Last edited:

Ash

It has definitely been done before.

Here is my 11, including players who have played since the turn of the millennium, when I started watching City.

Christy Pym

Matt Taylor
Rob Edwards
George Friend

David Noble
Ryan Harley
James Coppinger
Matt Grimes
Nicky Law

Jayden Stockley
Jamie Cureton

Other names that were considered: Paul Jones, Dean Moxey, Chris Todd, Alan Gow, Jamie Mackie, Sean Devine, Christian Roberts, Stanno

(Haven't included Storey or Ampadu due to their minimal appearances for City)

Look forward to seeing what others think...
What the hell were you considering Paul Jones for? Kit man?

Ash

Fairly self explanatory do you not think?

And yes, I was there for his first goal away at Morecambe on the Tuesday night after the Liverpool Home FA Cup tie, and I was there for his last goals, the hat trick at Oldham, and a lot of games Stockley played in in between too.

Matter of opinion.
It is a matter of opinion, it's just that yours is wrong. Stockley worked his arse off every game!

IndoMike

I'd say Bowman is a battler.
But that doesn't mean Stockley wasn't. To say Stockley was a "lazy piece of sh+t" is way OTT.

LOG

To say Stockley was a "lazy piece of sh+t" is way OTT.
He said a lazy **** rather than a lazy piece of ****.

A small difference, admittedly, but one that differentiates between a comment on his playing style and one that is just as much about his character.

Either way, it’s a matter of opinion which won’t get much support.

LeedsGrecian

But that doesn't mean Stockley wasn't. To say Stockley was a "lazy piece of sh+t" is way OTT.
"As much of a lazy s**t Stockley was at times"

At times?

I then go on to say that we miss his goals.

Bowmans work rate and Stockleys are in a completely different league. You need your head checking if you think otherwise.