• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Forest Green Rovers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Topsham Boy

Well, end of another season..... and having followed City for over 50 years....we’ve gone from being a bang average League 2 team...and at times a poor one.... to a slightly better than average League 2 team. Much improved ground and great academy....but real progress on the pitch remains painfully slow. Same old problem....we have to sell our best players to pay the bills. The rise of the Chiefs... credit to them....hasn't helped either. Without bigger gates and more commercial support we will not make real sustainable progress and be able to reach L1 and be good enough to become established at that higher level.

jrg333

Top comment on an article about MK Dons' promotion: 'Pleased for Paul Tisdale, nice guy who put up with a lot at Exeter.'

He 'put up with a lot', did he? :mad:

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Top comment on an article about MK Dons' promotion: 'Pleased for Paul Tisdale, nice guy who put up with a lot at Exeter.'

He 'put up with a lot', did he? :mad:
I seem to recall their fans weren't that happy with him around the time we beat them. Still, I guess with their budget promotion is almost inevitable.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree too. Seems odd to freeze Matt Jay out of the team when he performed so well and can score great goals from nowhere.

Seems odd not to play Kane Wilson from the start when we had to score. Can always bring on Sweeney or Woody to sure things up later if needed.

Randell was a huge miss. Holmes can't play 90 minutes anymore. He did today. But he can't. We lost all momentum in the 2nd half by the sound of it.
Definitely missed Randell Williams.

grecIAN Harris

So so so poor from us to go out on a whimper of a 0-0. A poor season considering the players we have in the squad. No doubt in my mind we’d have got top 7, maybe even top 3 if Tisdale was in charge with this squad. But nevertheless I feel the goal next season has to be challenging for promotion with players like Law in the team.
Obviously you weren't at the game then. Our best performance? Definitely not but certainly not going out on a whimper. We should have won it but didn't because of the one thing we haven't had since January, a goalscorer. Had Stockley been around still we would have slapped Vegan Rovers for three or four today and no doubt we wouldn't have found ourselves in the position we were in. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you have behind you, if you don't put the ball in the back of the net you won't win enough games.
We had three very good chances in the first half, as I said at half time. One of those goes in and we're sailing. The second half wasn't so good which I was little surprised about given how well we played in the wind last week but we still created enough chances but didn't really test a very dodgy keeper who flapped and spilled most things that came his way. Forest Green came back into it a bit which you should expect from any home side.
I'll be surprised if they go up. It will be either Tranmere or Mansfield for me. We'll be back there again next season and if I go I will learn the lesson of not parking anywhere near the ground. What a ******hole to get out of. It took nearly an hour to 3 miles up some country lane. I've no doubt it would have taken just as long to go back down the hill also.
Anyway, Argiggle to look forward to next season. It's just a shame that miserable, po faced Jock won't be in charge.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Definitely missed Randell Williams.
Late change to the starting line-up requiring some thought on tactics. One of those 'what-ifs' I suppose.

Red Devon

We created more than enough chances to win that game, fantastic effort and work rate from everyone but we let ourselves down with some wasteful finishing in front of goal...Holmes needs to work on his delivery despite getting into a lot of promising positions lacked the quality to produce anything worthwhile....Lee Martin and Collins both very good along with Moxey....can’t understand why Kane Wilson hasn’t been starting games lately adds that little bit of class when he’s on the pitch...hopefully that’s the last we’ve seen of Donovan Wilson in a City shirt not impressed at all again today.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We created more than enough chances to win that game, fantastic effort and work rate from everyone but we let ourselves down with some wasteful finishing in front of goal...Holmes needs to work on his delivery despite getting into a lot of promising positions lacked the quality to produce anything worthwhile....Lee Martin and Collins both very good along with Moxey....can’t understand why Kane Wilson hasn’t been starting games lately adds that little bit of class when he’s on the pitch...hopefully that’s the last we’ve seen of Donovan Wilson in a City shirt not impressed at all again today.
Totally agree re Donovan Wilson certainly would not want to see him back on loan next season.

Steve Moran3

Thought that new car park was a great idea having spent ages in previous seasons driving up that hill trying to find a place to park. That was until I tried to get out afterwards! Half an hour to get out of the field - then they made you turn right. I only wanted to go to Bristol but that took me completely the wrong way. On the way to FGR 25 minutes - home an hour and 35! Anyway - on to the football I completely agree we battled we pressed we created more than enough chances to win easily- but we don’t have a finisher at Stockley’s level. If he’d played we would have won. How many chances over the bar or straight at the keeper? We just had to score 1 goal to get in the playoffs against a team without their best 6 players and we couldn’t- so to be honest we probably didn’t deserve it

Stelios

Anyway - on to the football I completely agree we battled we pressed we created more than enough chances to win easily- but we don’t have a finisher at Stockley’s level. If he’d played we would have won. How many chances over the bar or straight at the keeper? We just had to score 1 goal to get in the playoffs against a team without their best 6 players and we couldn’t- so to be honest we probably didn’t deserve it
The amount of times this season we've blasted shots over the bar or hit straight at the keeper is remarkable. MT has mentioned it and is aware of it but christ almighty it's been so frustrating to watch (and listen to on the radio). Is it a confidence thing or a technical skill?

I still haven't recovered from Grimsby at home where we battered them but we either blasted it wide or hit the keeper. We had 30 shots!!!