• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittners a Legend

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Leadsom postering herself with the other runners and riders getting ready for the Grand National Tory Leadership Race?
I wonder if the Tory MPs had wished they had voted for Leadsom in the 2016 leadership election given the present mess that May has presided over for the last 30 months ?

IndoMike

Leadsom postering herself with the other runners and riders getting ready for the Grand National Tory Leadership Race?
According to the Guardian she is rumoured to be siding with Bojo, although she says she hasn't thought about it yet. Looking forward to the Tories self-destructing within a few weeks if there's a NO DEAL or if there is a DEAl or is there is a LONG DELAY or if there is NO BREXIT...(facepalm).
Labour might be having a similar clear-out, of course.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Amusing parody on Twitter of May's cosy fireside chat from yesterday : all the furniture around her up in flames.

IndoMike

According to the Guardian she is rumoured to be siding with Bojo, although she says she hasn't thought about it yet. Looking forward to the Tories self-destructing within a few weeks if there's a NO DEAL or if there is a DEAl or is there is a LONG DELAY or if there is NO BREXIT...(facepalm).
Sorry. My mistake. It was Amber Rudd

Terryhall

It's not because she's left wing for me, It's because as a politician she comes across like she doesn't do her homework on subjects as shadow home secretary she should and in interviews she can tie herself in knots, Plus some comments she has made too are just head in hands moments
She's no worse than the actual home secretary (or the previous two incumbents).

FT headline today suggesting that Macron may be ready to reject the request for an extension and push for us to leave on April 12th. They say it is his "de Gaulle moment". I guess this will turn on whether the UK govt actually has anything substantial to put alongside the request, or if they are coming back empty handed (again.) I suspect other EU leaders may take a softer line but it only takes one dissenting voice to derail the whole show.

Mr Jinx

FT headline today suggesting that Macron may be ready to reject the request for an extension and push for us to leave on April 12th. They say it is his "de Gaulle moment".
Here's hoping, but I think Merckel will succeed in bringing him back down to earth.

Someone mentioned the dream ticket of Amber Rudd and Boris Johnson, aka "BAMBER". It's not as ludicrous as it sounds as it unites both Leave and Remain camps. Rudd doesn't have enough clout to get the top job on her own steam but could play a second fiddle quite well and would head up the Remain side. I find it odd that the two actually get on, but if they do I think it' might fly. Can certainly be no worse than what's currently in place at the top.

arthur

What's interesting is how, in recent weeks, the non Blairite Corbosceptic wing (i.e. centre) of the Labour Party has begun to assert itself - Tom Watson, Emily Thornberry, Yvette Cooper etc. - and the Corbynistas (Lavery, Williamson, Trickett) are being increasingly marginalised. You do wonder how much longer the glorious leader will carry on - does he really want to lead the party into Euro or General elections, knowing that the party's policy is either a fudge that will unravel (vote for a a Labour Brexit), or one he profoundly disagrees with (Have another referendum)?

Terryhall

What's interesting is how, in recent weeks, the non Blairite Corbosceptic wing (i.e. centre) of the Labour Party has begun to assert itself - Tom Watson, Emily Thornberry, Yvette Cooper etc. - and the Corbynistas (Lavery, Williamson, Trickett) are being increasingly marginalised. You do wonder how much longer the glorious leader will carry on - does he really want to lead the party into Euro or General elections, knowing that the party's policy is either a fudge that will unravel (vote for a a Labour Brexit), or one he profoundly disagrees with (Have another referendum)?
He may not want to lead, but given the way Labour leadership voting works, he's still likely to win any leadership contest, despite the likes of Cooper and Burnham being (probably) more capable of leading the whole of the party. I suspect the only chance for Labour is the extremely unlikely perfect storm of (a) a "big name" leave supporter as new Tory leader; (b) a lurch even further to the right from that new leader to head off Farage's "Brexit party"; (c) a Tory split leaving a bunch of disaffected "neutral" MPs and a section of the electorate feeling "disowned" and being essentially floating voters; and (d) Labour somehow putting together a manifesto / platform that really speaks to those floating voters.

A B and C are all significantly more likely than D in my opinion.

What I am interested to see is whether the current trend in Swiss politics will filter to the rest of Western Europe. We had our right wing populist/nationalist party surge back in the 90's when the Swiss People's Party became the most prominent in the permanent coalition government - but in the recent local elections, on a national scale, they lost over 40 seats and those seats were picked up not by the traditional left (SP) nor by the traditional centrists (CVP) but by the Greens, who gained the 40 seats.

There is an expectation that this will mirror itself in the national elections in November of this year - but I do wonder if the current intransigence on both the right and left of British politics would see a similar gap that leaves room for a Green manifesto to finally make some gains - with the Tories too far to the right, Labour too far to the left, Lib Dems still too contaminated by their time in the coalition - if they play it properly the Greens (on paper at least) have a real opportunity (albeit with FPTP being what it is, even going from 1 seat to 2 would be extremely surprising - but I'll be looking out for their vote share all the same)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
He may not want to lead, but given the way Labour leadership voting works, he's still likely to win any leadership contest, despite the likes of Cooper and Burnham being (probably) more capable of leading the whole of the party. I suspect the only chance for Labour is the extremely unlikely perfect storm of (a) a "big name" leave supporter as new Tory leader; (b) a lurch even further to the right from that new leader to head off Farage's "Brexit party"; (c) a Tory split leaving a bunch of disaffected "neutral" MPs and a section of the electorate feeling "disowned" and being essentially floating voters; and (d) Labour somehow putting together a manifesto / platform that really speaks to those floating voters.

A B and C are all significantly more likely than D in my opinion.

What I am interested to see is whether the current trend in Swiss politics will filter to the rest of Western Europe. We had our right wing populist/nationalist party surge back in the 90's when the Swiss People's Party became the most prominent in the permanent coalition government - but in the recent local elections, on a national scale, they lost over 40 seats and those seats were picked up not by the traditional left (SP) nor by the traditional centrists (CVP) but by the Greens, who gained the 40 seats.

There is an expectation that this will mirror itself in the national elections in November of this year - but I do wonder if the current intransigence on both the right and left of British politics would see a similar gap that leaves room for a Green manifesto to finally make some gains - with the Tories too far to the right, Labour too far to the left, Lib Dems still too contaminated by their time in the coalition - if they play it properly the Greens (on paper at least) have a real opportunity (albeit with FPTP being what it is, even going from 1 seat to 2 would be extremely surprising - but I'll be looking out for their vote share all the same)
I'd be interested to know the basis on which this assumption is made. Policy-wise the current Conservatives have been very centrist in terms of taxation vs spending and on social policy.

The Greens in this country are very left wing economically, and have been somewhat squeezed by Labour's leftward shift having become something of a home for those who prior to 2015 felt Labour weren't left wing enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.