• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Citys 'problem' fans at home and away

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see the matchday thread is about to turn into a debate about the conduct of some of Citys supporters; with their poor choice of chanting/singing material. Could we now continue on this thread, instead of totally derailing another thread, as was the case last week with complaints about some members of the RA?

i8cornwall

Does this thread come with high horses for some posters to get on or do they need to provide there own?

PeteUSA

Does this thread come with high horses for some posters to get on or do they need to provide there own?
I thought the issue that you responded to so well last week ran its course, and everyone more or less parted friends? I only referred to it because the issue in question totally engulfed the matchday thread. It seems that there was more unacceptable behavior at Northampton today, although by who isn't clear. Just thought a separate thread might be an idea if its going to go on forever again?

i8cornwall

It was a joke Pete but agree last week it did go very off topic and is a good idea to have a thread of its own.

It seems to be a weekly thing now mind.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
What happened? More chants about people's mothers or a smoke bomb or 2?

i8cornwall

I'd imagine very little as is normally the case but will be blown all out of proportion as is the exeter city way.

fred binneys head

I agree with a separate thread to avoid the matchday thread getting sidetracked.

The problem is with a small number of individuals who choose to sing inappropriate songs. Let’s not exaggerate - it isn’t in the same league as the problem they have in Glasgow, but we have a small number of individuals who believe their passion for the club is best demonstrated by singing inappropriate / unfunny / offensive songs (delete as you deem applicable).

It’s not every game - they weren’t sung at Lincoln, Crewe or morecambe for instance - but for the games I’ve been at where such songs were sung, it has spoiled my enjoyment of the game. There seems to be an unhealthy fascination about paedophilia by some (songs at Mansfield, MK, Northampton, Newport) and I think the people singing the songs find it funny, but it isn’t.

Today was the worst of what I’ve heard - how anyone can justify singing anti-IRA songs at a city match is beyond me. The people singing this stuff aren’t just kids though, even though some are. Today there was a mix of songs involving swearing which the singers obviously found funny just because there was swearing in it (“Batman, Batman, you’re a ****”) but also unpleasant stuff about the death of Alan Nicholls and the IRA.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

I'd imagine very little as is normally the case but will be blown all out of proportion as is the exeter city way.
It’s not about blowing anything out of proportion, it’s a case of calling out ****heads.

i8cornwall

It’s not about blowing anything out of proportion, it’s a case of calling out ****heads.
Oh no I agree if someone is being a dick head then point it out but the way some people have gone about it in the match day thread is frankly stupid. Calling for people to be sacked and saying the club need to act as in suggesting they don't actually do anything about these things, I for one can fully vouch they do follow up on things sung at games.

fred binneys head

OK, I wasn’t one calling for that. All songs come down to one person starting them - the majority of the **** songs sung today were started by one person and only sung by around 10 in total, out of an away following of 412. I just want the one person starting them to not do it.

I’ve called it out before - away at argyle many years ago the bloke next to me started a racist chant. I told him to shut the **** up. He and his big lump of a mate told me if I didn’t like it I should “**** off somewhere else”. I fronted them up and told him and his mate that they should be the ones to **** off somewhere else as no one wanted that **** sung. They backed down, stared at me a lot but, ultimately, didn’t make a sound for the rest of the game. Don’t get me wrong, if they’d got violent I was ready to kick off - the singing made me so angry I was kind of hoping they did - and I’ll call it out again if I’m close to it in the future. Today I was close enough to hear it but nowhere near close enough to know who was saying it, or to say anything myself.