• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A Carlisle fan's view

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your MD reports were very informative, but I do agree you didn't tend to be critical of individuals or the.Manager.
The first part of your observations very true Mike. Moxey's write-ups were excellent. I always thought he could have done the job for the club, yet somehow that didnt work out. A nice balance between Devon humor and the game itself. I dont recall him being overly critical towards our players either. If a player dropped a bollok he said so, quite simply.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

The first part of your observations very true Mike. Moxey's write-ups were excellent. I always thought he could have done the job for the club, yet somehow that didnt work out. A nice balance between Devon humor and the game itself. I dont recall him being overly critical towards our players either. If a player dropped a bollok he said so, quite simply.
I did. I did the home match reports for the official ECFC site for over ten years. You have to be careful with criticism when writing for the official site as effectively it's public criticism of your staff - match reports should be simply that with, where possible, a positive slant to try and encourage people to come to the game next time.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Here's one of Ant's reports (it starts with his trademark of "So"), a defeat at home to Hereford http://web.archive.org/web/20101223145911/http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10436~31803,00.html

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I did. I did the home match reports for the official ECFC site for over ten years. You have to be careful with criticism when writing for the official site as effectively it's public criticism of your staff - match reports should be simply that with, where possible, a positive slant to try and encourage people to come to the game next time.
Whereas a couple of my away reports took the "sod that for a game of soldiers" approach. But then anyone trying to put a positive spin on *that* Aze n Yeddin PSF* or Burton away on a Friday night in '06 would have become the heir apparent to Alastair Campbell.

*And boy do I remember the flak I took on here for telling it like it was.

IndoMike

Here's one of Ant's reports (it starts with his trademark of "So", a defeat at home to Hereford http://web.archive.org/web/20101223145911/http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10436~31803,00.html
Seems an honest appraisal expressed in a nice style with a dash of humour and irony. I congratulate the author.

Antony Moxey

Ha, cheers Mike. Don’t remember being quite so vitriolic quite that often, but the club didn’t seem to mind. I had direct access to the club web page and could post whatever I wanted without club approval, so I guess they trusted me not be too scathing!

Only once in all the time I did the match reports did I ever get asked to change something - I forget what it was now but it was only a single sentence, and not much in it at that either - and then it was a request from the club rather than an instruction.

In the end it became a chore though, which, along with a load of behind the scenes personnel changes, made up my mind for me to hand it over to someone else. There’s only so many seasons of incessant home defeats you can try to remain upbeat about before you just can’t keep it going though. Enjoyed doing it while it lasted though.

Andy Holloway

Ha, cheers Mike. Don’t remember being quite so vitriolic quite that often, but the club didn’t seem to mind. I had direct access to the club web page and could post whatever I wanted without club approval, so I guess they trusted me not be too scathing!

Only once in all the time I did the match reports did I ever get asked to change something - I forget what it was now but it was only a single sentence, and not much in it at that either - and then it was a request from the club rather than an instruction.

In the end it became a chore though, which, along with a load of behind the scenes personnel changes, made up my mind for me to hand it over to someone else. There’s only so many seasons of incessant home defeats you can try to remain upbeat about before you just can’t keep it going though. Enjoyed doing it while it lasted though.
..and speaking as one who looked forward to you reports I must say I always thought them excellent. Being at sea and in various parts of the world over the years, it was always a pleasure to read Ant's report and feel that you were actually there watching the game.
When 'downunder' it was my morning routine to have my first coffee of the day, on a Sunday morning, while reading Ant's report.
I'm sure that I wasn't the only exile who thought it made them feel more involved via these reports.

IndoMike

I remember it was the time of the awful home form and depressing football. You did a very good job, though.