• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Carlisle United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good to hear. Made me smile to see the MDT angst about KMT picking Sweeney, a right back, at centre back. Reminded of those days when a previous manager got Exeweb stick for picking Sweeney, a centre back, at right back!
I still have fond memories of McNab playing Scott Hiley in the middle of a back three - tactical genius that even the great P Tisdale would struggle to match.

IndoMike

I believe from memory when he joined us from Reading most of his games were at centre half?
I can vagUely remember him playing at CB at some time..

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to hear. Made me smile to see the MDT angst about KMT picking Sweeney, a right back, at centre back. Reminded of those days when a previous manager got Exeweb stick for picking Sweeney, a centre back, at right back!
The angst was not because he can’t play at centre back but because he hasn’t played there much recently and because he was selected there ahead of Aaron Martin.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I still have fond memories of McNab playing Scott Hiley in the middle of a back three - tactical genius that even the great P Tisdale would struggle to match.
If I remember correctly Pierce made his debut away at Blackpool at centre back alongside Troy Brown with JMT at left-back and Craig Woodman at right- back!

IndoMike

I wouldn't say "angst" accurately described the tone of my comment. I simply said I thought it might be a risk since he seldom plays at centre back. Clearly I was wrong, however.

Last edited:

budegrecian

I think MT has worked very hard with his defenders &, whilst he was critical of them up until Christmas, he now has them extremely well organised & playing as he wants, even when he has to make significant changes, such as yesterday. Whilst we have some very good creative & running players, with Jayden's departure, we do not have an out & out goal scorer & any success we achieve will be based very much on keeping clean sheets or just conceding the odd goal.

fred binneys head

If I remember correctly Pierce made his debut away at Blackpool at centre back alongside Troy Brown with JMT at left-back and Craig Woodman at right- back!
I was there - that line up almost made me as mad as Liverpool away.

Not quite though #stillfuming

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

[video=youtube;99NGFvhBcVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NGFvhBcVo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NGFvhBcVo

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ian Jubb is no commentator!
Didn't hear the commentary yesterday so can't commentate on Jubby's commentating abilities, but good to hear the Jubbster still gets to the occasional City game.

That aside, can someone remind me of the story surrounding Ian's one-time mate, who was also a big city fan, in the wheelchair. I'm not sure how much of this I imagined / dreamt up, but my recollection is that after Jubby had wheeled him around Oz, he was charged with benefit fraud, prompting him to disappear, never to be seen again, leaving his wheelchair in Lou-and-Andy style in his fast-vacated council flat.

Oldsmobile-88

That aside, can someone remind me of the story surrounding Ian's one-time mate, who was also a big city fan, in the wheelchair. I'm not sure how much of this I imagined / dreamt up, but my recollection is that after Jubby had wheeled him around Oz, he was charged with benefit fraud, prompting him to disappear, never to be seen again, leaving his wheelchair in Lou-and-Andy style in his fast-vacated council flat.
I do not recall the benefit fraud aspect of the story,but do recall the person in question going missing.There was a story in the paper at the time about the disappearance.iirc his wheelchair was found near the Quay at Topsham(Can’t be 100% sure about that,part of the story seems to have gone down in folklore)

As a amusing aside to the story.I saw Jubby pushing the guy in the wheelchair at FGR’s old ground & going through a gate which the wheelchair could not go over due to a large metal lip on the ground.
The chap got out of the wheelchair,walked through,Jubby lifted the wheelchair over & the chap sat back in it :D
It was like a scene from Little Britian :D...Jubby ever the quick one for a one liner said...”Well it is Easter Monday(it was) & miracles do happen on this day”.