• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I did say it came off the hoarding before striking said flag Mike; Your scenario would definitely be one for the rule book though, if it ever happened. I'd say that a goal would be ruled out because of the second touch? I dunno though.
Just a very hypothetical question. Ocourse it has never happened in the history of football. Even the great Arnie couldn't do it ;)

Red Bill

In my time I always stood totally still until the ball was struck; I never dived prematurely to take a chance that the taker would shoot the same way that I dived. I did reasonably well waiting until the ball was actually hit, and I see no sense in the modern day guesswork. I certainly wouldn't let the penalty taker send me the wrong way by any action he took during the run-up. The only reason that my stationary technique wouldnt work these days is because it appears that the modern day ball travels twice as fast as in the old days! I dont know why that is, since to my knowledge the size, pressure, and weight of the ball hasnt changed!
Hmmm, wasn't that what Shilton did in the 1990 world cup semi? Waiting until the ball was kicked might have ensured he went the right way every time, but he didn't save any!

Number13

Should we persist with Jonathan Forte? Or return to Pierce Sweeney?

We seem to be getting a fair number of penalties this season, so clearly choice of penalty taker is important. My feeling is that we should return to Pierce Sweeney.
Back to the OP I'm afraid and a question..........

Have our misses directly cost us points this year (ie We were 1-0 down then missed and lost)?

Or have their been times it would have given us a better chance (ie We were 1-0 up and missed the chance to go 2up)?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
At Bury we were 1-0 down, and taking initiative in the game, the result could have been different.

It would have helped us on Saturday at 0-0.

IndoMike

Have our misses directly cost us points this year (ie We were 1-0 down then missed and lost)?

Or have their been times it would have given us a better chance (ie We were 1-0 up and missed the chance to go 2up)?
Goal difference - not to be scoffed at..

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, wasn't that what Shilton did in the 1990 world cup semi? Waiting until the ball was kicked might have ensured he went the right way every time, but he didn't save any!
The plus side of standing still until the kick is taken is that you will go the right way (or save easily if they go straight down the middle). The minus side is that you are less able to get to penalties that are placed well into the corners (e.g. Sweeney's penalty at Grimsby wouldn't have been saved by someone not "guessing" and being able to dive full length).

When I'm in sticks and facing a penalty I too will stand still until the kick is taken, which has meant I've not got to some I might have saved if I'd guessed, but also meant I've saved a few I wouldn't have done had I guessed. Swings and roundabouts.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

Potentially two points dropped at Grimsby. 0-0 and we were well on top when Sweeney's pen was saved. Had that gone in I think we'd have ended up winning.

tonykellowfan

It's quite clear from this thread that some fans have no clue. I was a penalty taker back in the day. You have to decide what you are doing before you start your run up. You go as wide as you can as hard you can and focus on keeping it down. The best penalties are those that go high into the side netting. The keeper has no chance.

PeteUSA

The best penalties are those that go high into the side netting. The keeper has no chance.
I agree; but you have to get them right. Mastering the art of placing the ball high into the side netting takes some doing. Its easy to shoot high and wide if you consciously try to do that.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've got to be up for it first off - if you don't fancy taking the penalty on the day then you'll probably miss it. You need a couple of penalty takers in your team and, best of all, the pair of them both wanting to take it.