• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have a penalty competition every day in training and whoever comes out on top for that week takes a penalty if we get one.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
In my time I always stood totally still until the ball was struck; I never dived prematurely to take a chance that the taker would shoot the same way that I dived. I did reasonably well waiting until the ball was actually hit, and I see no sense in the modern day guesswork. I certainly wouldn't let the penalty taker send me the wrong way by any action he took during the run-up. The only reason that my stationary technique wouldnt work these days is because it appears that the modern day ball travels twice as fast as in the old days! I dont know why that is, since to my knowledge the size, pressure, and weight of the ball hasnt changed!

Matt Russell

In my time I always stood totally still until the ball was struck; I never dived prematurely to take a chance that the taker would shoot the same way that I dived. I did reasonably well waiting until the ball was actually hit, and I see no sense in the modern day guesswork. I certainly wouldn't let the penalty taker send me the wrong way by any action he took during the run-up. The only reason that my stationary technique wouldnt work these days is because it appears that the modern day ball travels twice as fast as in the old days! I dont know why that is, since to my knowledge the size, pressure, and weight of the ball hasnt changed!
The balls are rounder?

Spoonz Red E

It's all to do with the surfaces, seams, deformation and reformation on kicking and aerodynamics Pete
https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/blog/aerodynamics-101/

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do we practice penalties I wonder?

We seem to have returned to the bad old days of around 6-7 years ago when we couldn't score them for toffee.

I'd give Forte another go - he's 1-2 so far. Otherwise I wonder if the Skip would step up.
We've missed, I think, 5 penalties during games this season and yet won penalty shoot-outs in the Carabou Cup, the Checkatrade nonsense and the Devon Bowl!

Given the effect on his confidence I wouldn't let Pierce take another and Jake seems to have lost his shooting ability this season but other than that I would be hapy to see pretty much any other player take one.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's a professional footballer, the easiest way to score for a striker should be with a penalty.
Not for all strikers; I'm still haunted by Steve Flack's skied attempt to score a penalty in the FA Cup shoot-out away to Ebbsfleet in our first season in the Conference. From memory that was the only one he took in his ten years at the club.

PeteUSA

It's all to do with the surfaces, seams, deformation and reformation on kicking and aerodynamics Pete
https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/blog/aerodynamics-101/
Excellent article Mike. I could be wrong of course, but I get the impression that all that research is aimed at the accuracy of the ball when struck, and not a lot to do with the speed the thing goes at. It beats me. In my minds eye, I'm seeing Len Bond (at SJP v Newcastle) getting patted on the back by the euphoric fans as he starts his run up from the fence to take a goal kick. Thats one hell of a run up, where Len's hope would be to get the ball over the halfway line, ideally in the centre circle!? These days you've got Pym (and most other keepers) taking a run (or walk) up of about 3-4 yards and easily getting the ball past the centre circle! I really dont understand the radical difference, unless modern day keepers are fitter and better developed - Beats me!

PeteUSA

Not for all strikers; I'm still haunted by Steve Flack's skied attempt to score a penalty in the FA Cup shoot-out away to Ebbsfleet in our first season in the Conference. From memory that was the only one he took in his ten years at the club.
It couldnt have been as bad as Arnold Mitchells penalty in the 60's where the ball ultimately hit the corner flag! Folklore suggests that Arnie shot so wide that it hit the corner flag directly. In fairness to a real club legend, the shot was very wide, but it hit the corner flag with a wallop after rebounding off of the advertising hoarding!

IndoMike

It couldnt have been as bad as Arnold Mitchells penalty in the 60's where the ball ultimately hit the corner flag! Folklore suggests that Arnie shot so wide that it hit the corner flag directly. In fairness to a real club legend, the shot was very wide, but it hit the corner flag with a wallop after rebounding off of the advertising hoarding!
If it had rebounded off the corner flag and flew back into the net it would have been a goal, right ref?

PeteUSA

If it had rebounded off the corner flag and flew back into the net it would have been a goal, right ref?
I did say it came off the hoarding before striking said flag Mike; Your scenario would definitely be one for the rule book though, if it ever happened. I'd say that a goal would be ruled out because of the second touch? I dunno though.