• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Penalty!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Should we persist with Jonathan Forte? Or return to Pierce Sweeney?

We seem to be getting a fair number of penalties this season, so clearly choice of penalty taker is important. My feeling is that we should return to Pierce Sweeney.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Do we practice penalties I wonder?

We seem to have returned to the bad old days of around 6-7 years ago when we couldn't score them for toffee.

I'd give Forte another go - he's 1-2 so far. Otherwise I wonder if the Skip would step up.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The keeper was already going the wrong way when he kicked the penalty. He needs to learn to watch the keeper and kick the ball simultaneously

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The keeper was already going the wrong way when he kicked the penalty. He needs to learn to watch the keeper and kick the ball simultaneously
I take it you are fishing.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would stick with Forte one more time, then one of Holmes Lee Martin or Law (whoever is on the pitch)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
What are the rules about hesitating before kicking the ball I noticed Willian adopted this yesterday isn't it cheating?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lee Martin scored a great penalty v Ipswich in the shootout so he gets my vote. Hoping Forte will be dropped soon anyway, really not keen on him.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What are the rules about hesitating before kicking the ball I noticed Willian adopted this yesterday isn't it cheating?
You're supposed to keep moving (even if very slowly) and there is something around not stopping in the ball-kicking stride (as this could lead to the keeper diving prematurely).

Willian's penalty was well within the boundaries as laid out.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed. By the time he struck the ball the keeper was already the other side of the goal. All he had to do was roll it in.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Clearly you guys have never taken a penalty, you make it sound so easy.