• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jordan Storey Watch

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the "clamour" for Sparkes, he was being discussed some months before his debut:

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?58638-Jack-Sparkes&highlight=sparkesworld
I can't see much of a clamour there but you are regularly wide of the mark so it's no surprise.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The coaching staff at Dorchester you mean? He was out on loan, not at the C&F.

You're right, he was seventh choice as I posted, because (and this is the point you are deliberately ignoring) none of the staff (or the fans) thought he was our best defender. He proved everybody wrong and that worked out well for all of us. There is nothing more to it than that. There are more than enough good reasons to be critical of Tisdale without inventing others just for the sake of being pointlessly outraged on the internet.
He would have been training with us during the week, wake up matey.

Last edited:

Terryhall

He would have been training with us during the week.
Any comment on the rest of the post? I thought not.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not much to see here. Deciding the right time to blood a youngster depends on many factors. I think managers are always thinking that if they blood too young and the player screws up it might have a negative impact on their confidence. I think the club did the right thing with Watkins and Storey and the proof is in the pudding. For Jamie Reid however it didn't work out.
Indeed, sometimes also necessity is the mother of invention, a catalogue of injuries/suspensions can lead to players being elevated, and it's up to them whether they sink or swim. Storey on being elevated immediately mastered the freestyle. Others have floundered (sometimes, like Norwood at Tranmere, to resurface elsewhere after taking extensive swimming lessons in the baby pool).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I can't see much of a clamour there but you are regularly wide of the mark so it's no surprise.
That was one thread specific to him, there's no way I'm trawling through, for example, every pre-match prediction/predicted line-up thread or MDT where people might have said "Why isn't Sparkes playing?" or similar.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any comment on the rest of the post? I thought not.
Your post is ridiculous, can't you understand there is a big difference between being viewed as our best defender and being viewed as a worse option than T A H and Seaborne ?

Do you actually read what you post ?

Boyo

The coaching staff saw him day in day out, if they couldn't look at him and think he was a better option than T A H and Seaborne then there was clearly something wrong.

I'm not being clever in hindsight here either, it was obvious from the moment he played against Luton he was a very good young defender.

If the likes of JMT and Troy were the only ones ahead of him you would have a point, they weren't so I consider you to be wrong.
There’s a big difference in performing in training and performing on real games. Perhaps Seabourne and TAH always looked better than Storey at the Cat and Fiddle. Going back a few years I have heard from lads who were apprentices at ECFC that Barry McConnell was by far the best player at the Club in training. Unfortunately he was never able to perform to the same standards in real matches. Storey could be the opposite.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's no way Seaborne looked better than anyone, in training, in a match or in a kick about in the park.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
There's no way Seaborne looked better than anyone, in training, in a match or in a kick about in the park.
Didn't think much of last season's hair either.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Getting back to the point, even on his debut you could see how much class Storey had. Of course exeweb wasn't going cuckoo over him at that point because hardly anyone on here had seen him play before.

It's hard to hold an opinion on a player without ever seeing them play, (despite what PeteUSA et al might suggest!)

Storey is the real deal and it's pleasing to see him continue developing into a quality centre back oop north. Future captain material as well I would suggest.