• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Statistics and Club History

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just done a bit of research period 1904 to outbreak of WW 11 hat tricks scored 33 of which 10 were scored by Fred Whitlow. 7 of these in season 1932/33 when we had what remains our highest finish in the football league runner up to Brentford in the old Third Division South and only the club finishing first was promoted to the old Second Division. Amazingly he looks to have missed the first 7 games of the season before scoring his first hat trick home to Watford on 29th October 1932 following up with another six over a 17 game spell the last being home to Newport on 18th February 1933.

Interesting to compare with Fred Binney who as top scorer in three consecutive seasons 1971/72 to 73/74 scoring a total of 70 goals including 4 hat tricks. Only one of these coming in season 72/73 when he scored 28 only 5 less than Fred Whitlow's club record. That season we finished 8th in in Division Four despite from 9th February taking only 14 points from the last 51 available only scoring 11 goals of which 9 were scored by Fred including a hat trick home to Northampton one of only two wins we achieved during that run.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That would be interesting to see I have supported City for nearly seven decades and cannot remember too many. One thing for sure Lee Elams record is very unlikely to be broken scores a hat trick and then dropped by you know who for the next game.
Yep remember the next game well - turned up at Dagenham to find he was on the bench 😳

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting to compare with Fred Binney who as top scorer in three consecutive seasons 1971/72 to 73/74 scoring a total of 70 goals including 4 hat tricks. Only one of these coming in season 72/73 when he scored 28 only 5 less than Fred Whitlow's club record. That season we finished 8th in in Division Four despite from 9th February taking only 14 points from the last 51 available only scoring 11 goals of which 9 were scored by Fred including a hat trick home to Northampton one of only two wins we achieved during that run.
Good research SB...I remember the 72/73 season,the first season as a boy(11) that I went to all of the home games..The Grecians were 2nd in the table in early Feb & played top of the table Southport(lost 0-1) & that was the end of a great run,the season as you mentioned fizzeled out disappointingly..Just one thing it was 2 points for a win in those days,so 51 points would not have been available.

iscalad

Tony Kellow hatrick against Leicester lives long in the memory.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone have a list of all the city hat tricks?

I don’t believe I’ve seen one before live...
From the Trust era

Sean Devine - Burton (3/10/03)
Steve Flack - Southport (4/3/06) [within the first 14 minutes of the game]
Lee Elam - Weymouth (23/1/07) [on debut against his previous club and dropped for the next game]
Richard Logan - Salisbury (9/10/07)
Dean Moxey - Stafford (22/4/08)
Ollie Watkins - Newport (31/12/16) [I believe this was the first in the league since November 1993]

From the 90's I can remember these 4, though I may have forgotten some.

Mickey Ross - Fulham (3/11/93)
Scott Hiley - Reading (28/11/92)
Steve Moran (4) - Darlington or Bury (12/10/91 or 19/10/91) [Relying on my failing memory as Soccerbase doesn't have records of goal-scorers this far back and we scored 4 against Darlington and 5 a week later against Bury - either way I am pretty sure that he scored 4 in one of these games which would make him the last City player to do so]
Jim McNichol - Rochdale (24//3/90)

I don't have access to a copy of the Complete Record so can't go any further back.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also does have anyone know where I can find a list of the players who have made the most appearances for City.

Oldsmobile-88

Ronnie Jepson scored 4 against Wrexham in September 1993,the game when Freddie Starr turned up on the BB,and a couple of guys dressed as Nazi stormtroopers walked on the pitch at HT..A bizzare day all round.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ronnie Jepson scored 4 against Wrexham in September 1993,the game when Freddie Starr turned up on the BB,and a couple of guys dressed as Nazi stormtroopers walked on the pitch at HT..A bizzare day all round.
That is confirmed by Soccerbase. I'm pretty sure I would have been at that game so not sure how I forgot about it. That was also quite the season for unusual statistics as 5 different players scored a pair of goals in the 6-4 defeat to Reading and Steve Butler scored 5 goals for Cambridge at the Park to pretty much confirm our relegation.

andrew p long

and Steve Butler scored 5 goals for Cambridge at the Park to pretty much confirm our relegation.
Hence the catchphrase from Blakey ‘ I hate you Butler ‘

Rog H K

From the Trust era

Sean Devine - Burton (3/10/03)
Steve Flack - Southport (4/3/06) [within the first 14 minutes of the game]
Lee Elam - Weymouth (23/1/07) [on debut against his previous club and dropped for the next game]
Richard Logan - Salisbury (9/10/07)
Dean Moxey - Stafford (22/4/08)
Ollie Watkins - Newport (31/12/16) [I believe this was the first in the league since November 1993]

From the 90's I can remember these 4, though I may have forgotten some.

Mickey Ross - Fulham (3/11/93)
Scott Hiley - Reading (28/11/92)
Steve Moran (4) - Darlington or Bury (12/10/91 or 19/10/91) [Relying on my failing memory as Soccerbase doesn't have records of goal-scorers this far back and we scored 4 against Darlington and 5 a week later against Bury - either way I am pretty sure that he scored 4 in one of these games which would make him the last City player to do so]
Jim McNichol - Rochdale (24//3/90)

I don't have access to a copy of the Complete Record so can't go any further back.
How many people have seen 4 goals from a player?
Steve Moran had 4 at home in 90s