• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup 18/19

Stelios

What clown decided Man Utd v Reading deserves to be screened live. A has-been Premier League team v a struggling Championship one.

I also can't see the point of Wolves v Liverpool. That fixture already happens twice this season.

Plenty of other ties more worthy of a live showing than those two.
It's beyond a joke now. Reading are poor. Man U average. They just want a chance to see an upset and a close up of Mourinho going nuts. Wouldn't watch it if it was in my back garden.

BBC do a great job in the qualifying and early rounds and then as soon they see the chance to show a PL club they just can't resist it. Wolves v Liverpool? Really? Will probably be two 2nd string sides too.

Stelios

Man U have been televised 64 times out of their last 65 FA cup games.

The original consecutive run started in 2005 (that year rings a bell?),lasted 12 years and came to an end after their 58th consecutive game (their 59th game was against Derby County).

Doe$ anyone have any theorie$ about why thi$ keep$ happening?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
On Man U, it is a sad fact that any game involving them has a relatively big audience. Suspect having one of the broadcasters televise it, helps the FA's overseas rights too.

The BBC is more unforgiveable. They aren't supposed to be chasing ratings but the 'good of the competition'. They send cameras to every round from August and do a live feed and commentary on the red button of all the qualifying rounds (Lymington v Torquay as an example). They then have a big love in with all the small clubs on the 3rd round draw programme. Then when it comes to choosing a match, they show a non-event that not even the managers of the teams playing will care too much about.
Agreed - when I saw they'd chosen that tie I was flabbergasted, especially when reading the BBC report on it they mentioned other ties being shown (including on BT) but didn't mention Woking vs Watford.

Assuming my chap plays I'll have a bit of a lump in my throat watching the match, lovely lad from a proper salt of the earth family. Will be turning 19 in a couple of weeks.

Sidey's back

Agreed - when I saw they'd chosen that tie I was flabbergasted, especially when reading the BBC report on it they mentioned other ties being shown (including on BT) but didn't mention Woking vs Watford.

Assuming my chap plays I'll have a bit of a lump in my throat watching the match, lovely lad from a proper salt of the earth family. Will be turning 19 in a couple of weeks.
What's the name of "your chap" Jason? I get to Woking quite frequently as I know Alan D quite well.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What's the name of "your chap" Jason? I get to Woking quite frequently as I know Alan D quite well.
Charlie Hester-Cook.

Stelios

Working class lads with double-barrelled names. What is the world coming to? :D

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Working class lads with double-barrelled names. What is the world coming to? :D
I remember when we initially loaned Troy Archibald-Henville, that night he made his debut at Dagenham and I was expecting a chap in plus-fors and a handlebar moustache to take the field!

Stelios

I remember when we initially loaned Troy Archibald-Henville, that night he made his debut at Dagenham and I was expecting a chap in plus-fors and a handlebar moustache to take the field!
With his penny farthing leaning up against the railings outside SJP? :D

On a more serious note I read somewhere it's partly to do with more parents splitting up (50% of marriages now end in divorce) so the child takes both names when the parents split. Also some women don't want to lose their surname so they join the two when married.

les.gtfc

Our game now kicks off at 5:30pm. Takes away the train option for our fans as you wouldn't be able to get back after the game.

It's being shown live somewhere abroad apparently.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's being shown live somewhere abroad apparently.
BBC Cornwall???

Last edited: