• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

"Come on yoooooouu Reeeeeeeeeeds"

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whack Neen! Gilbert was a legend, always with a radio held to his ear, remember him announcing "Arsenal one up at Derby, Red Rum won the national!"

Let Bowker ab 'en. Was another shout.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whack Neen! Gilbert was a legend, always with a radio held to his ear, remember him announcing "Arsenal one up at Derby, Red Rum won the national!"

Let Bowker ab 'en. Was another shout.
So many of my favourite players amongst his but Pinhoe to Plainmoor that is really one heck of a walk at least 8 hours. Something not quite right there?

STURTZ

Often used to see him walking over Haldon to Torquay, anybody remember Smokey Joe who used to live in the woods up there?

Stelios

That is one hell of a walk to Torquay. From the Pinhoe too! Not even St Thomas.

I've not heard of Smokey Joe. Doesn't sound at all dodgy.

Oldsmobile-88

Often used to see him walking over Haldon to Torquay, anybody remember Smokey Joe who used to live in the woods up there?
Yep..Part of the furnishings of Telegraph Hill..He died in 1976.

STURTZ

Proper old fashioned tramp, often seen sitting by a fire beside the A30, face completely black from the smoke.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
We used to drive past in Dad's Cortina and throw out a bag of foodstuff , think many others did this as well.

Spoonz Red E

That is one hell of a walk to Torquay. From the Pinhoe too! Not even St Thomas.

I've not heard of Smokey Joe. Doesn't sound at all dodgy.
Good picture and write up of him here (scroll right to the bottom of the page).
http://chudleighhistorygroup.uk/news.html

geoffwp

Yep, certainly do. Like ramone we used to drop off food whenever we happened by. One rumour was Smokey was badly effected during military service in the war and never went back to mainstream society. No idea how true that may have been or not but if it was so then the old guy won't have been the first to turn his back on the world after such an experience and no doubt won't be the last.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
That would be Gilbert. Also known for his..SHOOOOOOT
I used to think he was hollering "Hoooooooo!" Puzzled me for years. Only learned the truth when I joined Exeweb.