• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clubs we have never played

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
But how about this tester - who do we have an all-time unbeaten record against? I’m no Statto and only found the one I have in mind given banter with a mate
Is that in the Football League only ?...I can think of a few in our Conference years.

Oldsmobile-88

We've played all these teams in friendlies, I think. (Certainly Arsenal in the 60s and Man City in the 90s). It's competitive fixtures that we've not had with them.
Arsenal played a midweek game to inaugurate the upgraded floodlights in 1964(can’t image a top flight team bothering these days)..Man City came down for Steve Neville’s Testimonial in 1990 or 91.

Nigel E

Arsenal played a midweek game to inaugurate the upgraded floodlights in 1964(can’t image a top flight team bothering these days)..Man City came down for Steve Neville’s Testimonial in 1990 or 91.
Yes I think Alan Ball brought Man City to SJP in mid-90s too. Part of the Buster Phillips deal?

Nigel E

Is that in the Football League only ?...I can think of a few in our Conference years.
We're certainly unbeaten against FGR in the Football League (and FA Cup). Think they must have beaten us in the Conf.

Maybe Fleetwood too

mustangspeed2006

We're certainly unbeaten against FGR in the Football League (and FA Cup). Think they must have beaten us in the Conf.

Maybe Fleetwood too
Yeah, you're right with Fleetwood and FGR in the league (though we've definitely lost to the latter in the Conference). I thought perhaps Boston Utd., but I think they beat us 0-2 at home in our relegation season. I can't think of any other FL teams though.

Off the top of my head, I think we were unbeaten against Stafford Rangers, Leigh RMI and Droylsden in our Conference days. I'm sure there must be a few others.

mustangspeed2006

Is this only Football League? We've never lost to Leicester or Newcastle, but we've only played them in the cup.

Andy Holloway

We've played all these teams in friendlies, I think. (Certainly Arsenal in the 60s and Man City in the 90s). It's competitive fixtures that we've not had with them.
We played Arsenal in an inauguration game for the new, old, old, old floodlights around 1963/64!

PeteUSA

We played Arsenal in an inauguration game for the new, old, old, old floodlights around 1963/64!
And Billy Wright put out the same eleven that had played the previous weekend. I remember Frank McClintock, Mel Charles, and Tony Burns (later Argyle) in goal. Wright switched on the christmas lights.

flakey pasty

..... and Joe Baker.

The Arsenal match was played on the 2nd December 1964 , I still have the programme somewhere and can remember where I stood for the game but nothing about it . I think you will find that in the Arsenal team that night also was Don Howe , George Eastham , George Armstrong and Terry Neill , they certainly sent a very strong line up .