• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
If I may intervene:
Sterling has useful assets but you wouldn't back him to beat the goalie one on one. Like many players his instinctive play is better than his play when he has time to think.
Players like Calvert-Lewin, Solanke are going nowhere fast, Lalana has had his day and is finished as a top class international player. Loftus- Cheek is grossly overrated. Vardy has retired from international football. Rashford has lost his confidence under Mourinho. Foden has potential to do well if given a good run of games, which is unlikely. So if Ollie can join a decent Premiership side
and do well over a season he might be considered for England in time for the Euros. His style reminds me of Wilson of Bournemouth, although Wilson is a bit more of an out and out striker.

Last edited:

Terryhall

If I may intervene:
Sterling has useful assets but you wouldn't back him to beat the goalie one on one. Like many players his instinctive play is better than his play when he has time to think.
Players like Calvert-Lewin, Solanke are going nowhere fast, Lalana has had his day and is finished as a top class international player. Loftus- Cheek is grossly overrated. Vardy has retired from international football. Rashford has lost his confidence under Mourinho. Foden has potential to do well if given a good run of games, which is unlikely. So if Ollie can join a decent Premiership side
and do well over a season he might be considered for England in time for the Euros. His style reminds me of Wilson of Bournemouth, although Wilson is a bit more of an out and out striker.
I agree with that conclusion on Ollie 100%. My scepticism is purely those saying he will get a call up before the end of this season, which just isn't remotely realistic in my opinion.

Oldsmobile-88

Ollie was sat a few seats from me in the IP Stand today..Great to see him back cheering on his old team.

budegrecian

Ollie was sat a few seats from me in the IP Stand today..Great to see him back cheering on his old team.
Says everything you need to know about him; what a great guy.
I didn't realise he was there today, but that explains the Red Legion chant of 'Ollie Watkins: he's one of our own'.

Stelios

Says everything you need to know about him; what a great guy.
I didn't realise he was there today, but that explains the Red Legion chant of 'Ollie Watkins: he's one of our own'.
https://twitter.com/OfficialECFC/status/1038439969088528384

STURTZ

That's Troy Brown to his left isn't it? Abeit sporting a new haircut.

Antony Moxey

Anyone thinking he’ll get an England call up is living in cloud cuckoo land. The current squad has just reached the World Cup semi final so until he’s playing in the Premier League he won’t get a sniff of a call up, unless it’s for one of the age group squads.

Nice to see him at the game yesterday, would have been so easy to not bother with footy and just stay visiting family and friends on a rare weekend off.

Temporarily Exiled

Anyone thinking he’ll get an England call up is living in cloud cuckoo land. The current squad has just reached the World Cup semi final so until he’s playing in the Premier League he won’t get a sniff of a call up, unless it’s for one of the age group squads.

Nice to see him at the game yesterday, would have been so easy to not bother with footy and just stay visiting family and friends on a rare weekend off.
Worth noting that he is still eligible for England U21s. He'd be one of the older players in the side, and the 2019 Euros would be the last tournament he'd be eligible for - but it'd be fantastic for putting him even more in the spotlight. Unfortunately for him, it seems to be a fairly settled and successful squad already, and breaking in will be difficult when he's still competing for a place against a lot of players that start in the Premier League.

Still, if he keeps this sort of form up it'll be very hard to justify keeping him out.

You may end up being correct, indeed the odds are in your favour. However to suggest it is "cloud cuckoo land" is incorrect.

At a time when it England are lacking players in the mould of Watkins then it is not unfathomable to think that the so called golden boy of the Championship could be considered for a call up to the England squad by a manager who is only interested in younger talent.

When Welbeck, Lallana and co are injured again and now without Hardy then I for sure would take a look at Ollie ahead of Solanke etc. IMO only Maddison is ahead of Ollie in terms of uncapped England potentials.

Stelios

Does Watkins have any other country's he could theoretically qualify for? I'm sure if he had a Welsh grandmother he'd have been called up by now........