• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC Transfers, in/outs Summer of 2018

citylad60

perhaps if he/they were presented at the fans forum, there may be a bit more interest in going.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
One further possible extended discussions ongoing
Is it the consensus that these two players are Lee Martin and Jimmy Oates, or is there someone else?

Temporarily Exiled

With Key and Randall going out on loan, the squad is down to 23 players.

3 Goalkeepers: Hamon, Pym, Weale
6 Defenders: Brown, Croll, Martin, Moxey, Sweeney, Woodman
9 Midfielders: Boateng, Collins, Dean Holmes, Kite, Law, Sparkes, Taylor, Tillson
5 Strikers: Abrahams, Forte, Jay, Seymour, Stockley

Compared to 6 months ago:

4 Goalkeepers: Hamon, Jones, Pym, Williams
10 Defenders: Archibald-Henville, Brown, Croll, Moore-Taylor, Moxey, Seaborne, Storey, Sweeney, Wilson, Woodman
12 Midfielders: Boateng, Byrne, Collins*, Dean, Edwards, Harley,Holmes, James, Kite, Taylor, Sparkes, Tillson
6 Strikers: Brunt, Jay, Loft, McAlinden, Simpson, Stockley

*Collins was out on loan 6 months ago, but recalled before the end of the season due to first-team injuries.

Between them, the players that are no longer at the club (Archibald-Henville, Brunt, Byrne, Edwards, Harley, James, Jones, Loft, McAlinden, Moore-Taylor, Seaborne, Simpson, Storey, Williams and Wilson) played a combined 259 games for City last season (285 if you include Reuben Reid). My question is, can anybody see the new signings and unused / underutilised academy players adequately replacing the players that have left the club?

Red Bill

With Key and Randall going out on loan, the squad is down to 23 players.

3 Goalkeepers: Hamon, Pym, Weale
6 Defenders: Brown, Croll, Martin, Moxey, Sweeney, Woodman
9 Midfielders: Boateng, Collins, Dean Holmes, Kite, Law, Sparkes, Taylor, Tillson
5 Strikers: Abrahams, Forte, Jay, Seymour, Stockley

Compared to 6 months ago:

4 Goalkeepers: Hamon, Jones, Pym, Williams
10 Defenders: Archibald-Henville, Brown, Croll, Moore-Taylor, Moxey, Seaborne, Storey, Sweeney, Wilson, Woodman
12 Midfielders: Boateng, Byrne, Collins*, Dean, Edwards, Harley,Holmes, James, Kite, Taylor, Sparkes, Tillson
6 Strikers: Brunt, Jay, Loft, McAlinden, Simpson, Stockley

*Collins was out on loan 6 months ago, but recalled before the end of the season due to first-team injuries.

Between them, the players that are no longer at the club (Archibald-Henville, Brunt, Byrne, Edwards, Harley, James, Jones, Loft, McAlinden, Moore-Taylor, Seaborne, Simpson, Storey, Williams and Wilson) played a combined 259 games for City last season (285 if you include Reuben Reid). My question is, can anybody see the new signings and unused / underutilised academy players adequately replacing the players that have left the club?
Yes........

Heysham Mike

Is goalkeeper Felix Norman not on a contract? Or still an Academy player?

Temporarily Exiled

Yes........
As the squad stands, you're happy with it? 6 defenders? I assume we'll get more in (maybe even today), but TAH, Moore-Taylor, Seaborne, Storey and Wilson played over 100 matches between them, and to fill that gap so far we've got one man with a bit of a spotty injury record.

Is goalkeeper Felix Norman not on a contract? Or still an Academy player?
I went by who is listed on the club site as being in the 'first team'.

Last edited:

sidney

The squad is clearly lacking in numbers, but last season it was too large, without doubt. The money saved from the wages bill by dropping a number of peripheral players is considerable. It is a balance between having sufficient numbers to counter loss of form and injury, with keeping a compact and manageable group that offers the youngsters a chance.

My personal view is that two or three more good players, that will normally make the first team, are needed. The money saved by reducing the size of the squad can be spent on bringing in quality. If we are decimated by injuries, then we could and should turn to youth. Of course, a balanced squad with players who can play in several positions is also a requirement. So far, recruitment appears to have gone well, but a 'wow' signing or two would be good.

The example of Storey is instructive: we 'discovered' a player who took his opportunity and brought in a big cheque.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the squad stands, you're happy with it? 6 defenders? I assume we'll get more in (maybe even today), but TAH, Moore-Taylor, Seaborne, Storey and Wilson played over 100 matches between them, and to fill that gap so far we've got one man with a bit of a spotty injury record.

I went by who is listed on the club site as being in the 'first team'.
We're probably 3 players short from a full squad. A RB, a CB, and a midfielder. We know Taylor is actively trying to get some players in. Its obviously not been easy. I'm confident he will have it all in place before the start of the season.

You have to remember that Seaborne barely played and certainly didn't have an impact on our season. Likewise with Brunt, Simpson, and to some extent McAlinden. So we had a much bigger squad but it was far from a fully fit squad.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not much point worrying we're short of players when its been clearly stated were still recruiting. Should be 2-3 more players in. Think we need at least 2 quality reinforcements at the back. Anything further forward would be a bonus

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry TE but I have to agree with Billy boy here. Are the vast majority of the departees such a huge loss from the payroll?

Taking, first, your primary concern about the defence.

TAH - stepped in somewhat manfully when need I'll admit but, let's face it, has not had a "full season" in his legs for years - and probably never will again.
JMT - sorry, but see above. Talented but too much of a sick note to convince as a "brick outhouse" CD.
Storey - IMHO probably, potentially the biggest loss long term but he has only really played half a season. Went for good money to further his embryonic career. Good luck to the lad - be interesting to see how he thrives at higher levels.
Wilson - Never ours in the first place (and, realistically, never likely to be long term). Did a good job (when picked and the 'red mist' didn't descend) but short / medium term would still place him just behind Sweeney in the pecking order.
Seaborne - ermmmm, right. You're jokin' aren't you?

Midfield

Byrne Hardly figured.
Edwards - See Wilson
SRH - At least, in the PAST, we sometimes got to see the best of him. Something the Franchisees are likely to be denied.
James - See Seaborne

Forwards
Macca - you've (possibly) got a point but let's just see how he gets on wherever he winds up. Goodish Conference player (on his day) I'd say.
Brunt /Loft / Simpson - see Seaborne and / or James.

So, a couple of unfortunate losses possibly but an awful lot of deadwood pruned from the wage bill.

Obviously will reserve judgement on the new arrivals until we see them in real action but PROVIDED Matt & Co can keep the core of what was a largely successful squad (and equally the new F&C coach can keep them fit and firing), with (maybe a bit of cover signed in, and MT's equally successful U23s stepping up) I feel remarkably sanguine at the moment.*

* I do, of course reserve the right, to rescind this opinion immediately after the Carlisle game if needed. ;)