• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v WBA AFC FA Cup 3rd round proper. AD. 06/1/2018.Official Matchday Th

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The attendance on Saturday was 5,638. I thought current capacity was closer to 6.5k?
No, it's just under 6K (c.2000 in the stand and 3950 max. on the BB) and some room on the BB was taken up by the camera position. There will also have been quite a few no-shows, there are nearly always at least 100; the WBA number was 363 though they will presumably have had 378 tickets. All tickets sold will be very carefully accounted for as the FA get 10% and WBA 45% of the net takings.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
The relevance is if you witness it you would have seen it wasn’t a case of just not going for it being one down in the first minute , and Barry handled the ball in the build up.
Lee Mason had a clear view of that blatent 'handball' and I'm assuming considered it to be ball to hand. I certainly did; although some might say he had time to pull his hand away.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Lee Mason had a clear view of that blatent 'handball' and I'm assuming considered it to be ball to hand. I certainly did; although some might say he had time to pull his hand away.
If that was "ball to hand" then I'm a frigging Dutchman. Mason messed up big time in not giving it.

However, the time that lapsed between the handball and the goal going in starts to negate any argument around its significance in the build up.

Antony Moxey

If that was "ball to hand" then I'm a frigging Dutchman. Mason messed up big time in not giving it.

However, the time that lapsed between the handball and the goal going in starts to negate any argument around its significance in the build up.
Depends Jase. If everyone stops because they think it's a handball (and yes, they shouldn't, they should play to the whistle) then once they realise it isn't they're on the back foot chasing back.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Depends Jase. If everyone stops because they think it's a handball (and yes, they shouldn't, they should play to the whistle) then once they realise it isn't they're on the back foot chasing back.
Yes, my point is more purely around the time lapsed, and the number of movements made between the incident and the goal.

I remember a few seasons back (our L1 relegation season I think?) where we played Notts County and a blatant foul was missed, leading eventually to a goal - yes, the foul contributed but in the interim we had ample opportunity to clear our lines. One could potentially argue similarly about West Brom's goal, although in the end it was an excellent finish from Rondon.

ecfctis

Pure & simple - hand ball. Play should have been stopped, free kick ECFC. Flow of play totally changed.

PeteUSA

Not much, if any appeal from City players?

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Could have met Liverpool away and after some of the poor matches on tv this weekend,a missed tv opportunity too

Colesman Ballz

Could have met Liverpool away and after some of the poor matches on tv this weekend,a missed tv opportunity too
The stuff of nightmares ! Don't think I could have brought myself to go, after the shameful debacle of last time ! :(

Andy Holloway

But we would have been a different number so might not have!