• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

LGBT Supporters Group

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's a shame that, for some topics, some people start the debate with their sleeves already rolled up - understandably for some, but not for all.

WXF

No. Just wind your neck in.
Convincing argument you've got there Geoff.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that the tone of the response to his post was a touch aggressive, but the fact is that someone posted a thread about LGBT and he waded in with a comment that there wasn't any discrimination that he could imagine. I haven't commented on this subject because I don't go to SJP enough to know if this is still a problem - unlike Mike, I can't imagine that it ISN'T still a problem but I'm really not qualified to say. Now for years people have been telling people who complain about discrimination to not "make a problem of it" and if you do then you're the problem, so I can understand the heated reaction from mfcrocker actually. For Mike then to go all sensitive and become the victim is something he should be above, take it and move on, I'm not going to say "grow a pair" like people used to regularly say on here and is a phrase I hate but once the dust settles on this particular skirmish on exeweb you will have forgotten all about it while homophobic abuse will still be there in society, so my sympathies are limited.

geoffwp

Convincing argument you've got there Geoff.
Well I don't see the need for a cogent argument where one isn't needed. Besides, I'm no match for your creative invention. I'm simply asking for a calmer discussion and reading what others have written more carefully.

geoffwp

he waded in .
But he didn't wade in. That in itself indicates an aggressive stance which it wasn't. It's an open forum and he responded as we all do to any post. Anyway, I don't need to defend him as he hasn't done any wrong plus he is more than capable of looking after himself.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Wade" is when you're out of your depth. Doesn't indicate aggression.

geoffwp

There was a fight and he waded in. I think it does also have that element.

fred binneys head

"Wade" is when you're out of your depth. Doesn't indicate aggression.
Not sure that's correct - if you 'wade' you are standing on the floor, therefore not out of your depth. He would have to have come 'swimming in' or 'come in on a boat' to have been out of his depth.

Here to lighten the mood and make us all friends again.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well I certainly meant it in the sense he was out of his depth. And, no, there's no reason to believe that Mike is homophobic or has a problem with LGBT from any of his posts on this thread or any other, and nobody has said that.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

England still has the menacing record of the only gay professional player to out themselves as having committed suicide.
Asking simply because I don't know the answer, but was Fashanu's suicide a result of him outing himself as a gay footballer? If not, to say it's 'menacing' might be a little wide of the mark.