• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pre-season friendlies

citizen

I was wondering why City are playing pre-season games at places like Poole , Dorchester ,Taunton ,Weymouth etc and not throwing in the odd game at Tiverton Town,Exmouth Town and maybe even Heavitree United? It would be a great way of helping local clubs. Lets face it the lot down the road have played Parkway,Saltash and Barnstable with decent
crowds for them .( over 2000 at Parkway.) .Any ideas? UTC

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see that Matt Taylor has suggested we might squeeze in another one next week..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I see that Matt Taylor has suggested we might squeeze in another one next week..
Wonder if that'll be behind closed doors, or one we can go and see!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Under 18s beat Nottm Forest 5-2 in a friendly.
After beating WBA this is an impressive follow up.

malcolms

I don't think anyone is really suggesting that pre season friendlies are a real indicator as to how the season will go. However, whilst I can understand the logic of playing a string of games against lower ranked opposition and improving the teams confidence by racking up wins and a cartload of goals, I'm not sure the opposite outcome is good for anyone....

iscalad

I don't think anyone is really suggesting that pre season friendlies are a real indicator as to how the season will go. However, whilst I can understand the logic of playing a string of games against lower ranked opposition and improving the teams confidence by racking up wins and a cartload of goals, I'm not sure the opposite outcome is good for anyone....
Well, we won all our friendlies last year. Can't recall we got our league campaign of to a scintillating start.

PeteUSA

You would have thought perhaps Perryman could have organised one or two games against better opposition, with his standing within the club. I take it they preferred playing lower non league teams, although I dont altogether see the logic. I see a couple of score lines with them weren't too clever.

fred binneys head

It's about fitness and getting back into the routine, bedding new players into the team, etc - not results.

PeteUSA

It's about fitness and getting back into the routine, bedding new players into the team, etc - not results.
Thats all good points. All of the above can be achieved providing the opposition is half decent, which the teams City have played surely are. I just think the odd glamour friendly (for want of a better word) doesn't hurt, and it brings in a few bob at the gate.

malcolms

You don't think that being beaten by teams who are several tiers below you has any impact on players confidence? Not sure we have many "new players" to bed in have we?

Of course these results don't matter in the big scheme of things, but it just smacks of complacency which I think is one of our biggest weaknesses.