• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which is why Brentford don't spend millions without risk assessment! Without boring with lots of details, just look at what we've spent on players and what we've sold for. In very broad terms, there's a profit on player turnover of about £10M per season, with the majority of incoming end-of-contract recruits; the second-youngest squad in the Championship, no-one on their last payday. Even then, the losses are about £10M, funded by the owner, a life-long fan, who has also funded a new stadium, due for completion July 2019, when the sale of other development land, including the present ground, will pay back the majority of his lending for the build, which includes almost 1,000 flats... in London. This is the main component to long-term sustainability.
Come on fella, let's not over egg the BFC pudding.
Now, there's no denying your recent success but the when the instant financial boost of selling your ground is a distant memory, you're left with a small to middling football club relying on 'gaming' the transfer system and as you say yourself an owner who like a club down the road from us, is using a football club's assets as an enabler to make money for himself.
That scenario does not smack of "long term sustainability" to me.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Come on fella, let's not over egg the BFC pudding.
Now, there's no denying your recent success but the when the instant financial boost of selling your ground is a distant memory, you're left with a small to middling football club relying on 'gaming' the transfer system and as you say yourself an owner who like a club down the road from us, is using a football club's assets as an enabler to make money for himself.
That scenario does not smack of "long term sustainability" to me.
They 're delusional : they think they're big shots now. Mind you, I wish we could emulate them.:(

fred binneys head

I think you're all being too harsh on our visitors from Brentford. They seem like decent lads or lasses who are just explaining how their club is run - they are rightly proud of it, but I don't read any arrogance at all. Everyone's entitled to their view, but I think these little bees are ok.

Last edited:

Y8EES

The BFC owner has put in the thick end of £90M, as disclosed in the last published accounts, not all of it as loans, either. The planning application for the new community stadium does not show a profit but a possible break-even, with Matthew Benham covering any losses. Yes, there's a chance he may make some profit but he's guaranteed to cover the losses, now almost inevitable, given our sleep-walk into economic downturn. Yes, there's always the possibility of sinking down the leagues again but three consecutive seasons in England's Top 30 and a squad valued at £100M gives us fans of over 50 years a real buzz.

Anyway, we've just made a 'typical' signing: https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2017/july/neal-maupay-signs-from-saint-etienne/ for 2M€; compare and contrast.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where does it say 2m...?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
ollie not playing tonight, the plot thickens.

And the replica kit advert on the home page !!! Has.................................................................. a Brentford shirt.

Does the owner of Exeweb know something we don't ?

Y8EES

Where does it say 2m...?
That figure comes from the reports in France; l'Equipe's journalist who follows Saint-Etienne.

iscalad

Where does it say 2m...?
Brentford have signed French youth international attacker Neal Maupay from AS Saint-Étienne for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance.

Right there!

StroudGrecian

That figure comes from the reports in France; l'Equipe's journalist who follows Saint-Etienne.
He'll be worth jack **** once Brexit kicks in and his work permit is rescinded.

Welcome to the silly season on Exeweb, Y8EES.

Bloody hell I knew our fanbase was over precious but it is incredible how bitter our supporters come across on here.

Brentford are just doing what we should be doing. Setting up a good scouting network, plucking promising players out of nowhere and selling them on. Hopefully Wheeler will show this is possible.

Maybe you all prefer signing injured players with no sell on value but I prefer the way Brentford, Peterborough etc go about it.